Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Question [moved] Debugging using symbian online signed

Is there any way to connect the debugger to the application on the phone manually? I'm using symbian online signed, and hence I can't use the debugger directly from Carbide.

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Debugging using symbian online signed

Quote Originally Posted by anand_trex View Post
    Is there any way to connect the debugger to the application on the phone manually? I'm using symbian online signed, and hence I can't use the debugger directly from Carbide.

Thanks.
    Would you please describe more about the problem? How does Symbian Online Signed come into picture with debugging?
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Basically I need some capabilities which require application signing, which require me to use symbian online signed. But since I then download the sis, install it and run it, the debugged isn't connected. So I'm unable to find out where my application is crashing. I was wondering if there was some way to connect the debugger manually once I've installed the application and run it.

Super Contributor

in your case i suggest you use RFileLogger to file log, other option is get the development certificate,

Nokia Developer Moderator

This was discussed before, you should search the forum for that old thread.
    But basically the flow is:
    1) build project, obtain unsigned *.sis and self-signed *.sisx file
    2) create debug configuration, test it (to the point of sending the SISX file to the phone, the installation will fail obviously)
    3) in debug config disable the option which says "Build (if required) before launching"
    4) send the *.sis file to Open Signed Online, get back the properly signed file, rename it to *.sisx
    5) copy it to your project's SIS output directory thus overwriting the existing self-signed version
    6) debug
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Re: [moved] Debugging using symbian online signed

Moved to this forum. ODD is done with Carbide.c++ and its TRK plug-in so the discussion (this and the old thread as well) belongs here.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Sounds like quite an ingenious solution. But strangely, when I try it, the whole phone freezes up. Any idea what could cause this?

Re: [moved] Debugging using symbian online signed

Do install the application and attempt to run it on the phone without Carbide's help. If the behaviour is similar then you know is not Carbide's fault (or TRK's) but rather your app acting weird. Which means that you need to do some more testing in the emulator until your app is a bit more stable.
    -- Lucian