Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

How to design Qt's layout in Symbian

I want to develop a program which run on the S60 emulator, but the design of layout is diffcult.I write code on the Win system and it run well.However, the layout is bad when the program run on the S60 emulator.How can I solve the problem, thanks much

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: How to design Qt's layout in Symbian

You don't say how the layout is "bad", but keep in mind that you bump into all sorts of limitations on the small screen that will make it behave differently from a PC application. Some widgets can only shrink so far, and, eg, an 8 point font on the PC is twice as big (in pixels) on the small screen. Unless there's a lot of "air" in the layout to begin with, it's going to break.

(I don't even try to use a layout manager in most cases -- it's faster and less trouble overall to use manual layout.)

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to design Qt's layout in Symbian

Quote Originally Posted by qsun06 View Post
    I want to develop a program which run on the S60 emulator, but the design of layout is diffcult.I write code on the Win system and it run well.However, the layout is bad when the program run on the S60 emulator.How can I solve the problem, thanks much
    Showing many things in a small screen, with a variety of UI components offered by Qt, its really difficult to choose how to design the UI. But careful consideration about the usability of features in the application and how the end user would approach it, could just help in designing better Qt apps.

In your particular case, would you mind posting some screenshots of your application on the emulator.
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com