Discussion Board

Can I publish to the ovi store using my social security number as my tax id?

If I live in the USA can I use my social security number as "my company"'s tax id for publishing to the ovi store? Searching around on this forum it seems like you have to be a company with a "tax id" to publish to the ovi store, but according to post #8 on this thread http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=165916 if you live in the US you can simply use your social security number. Is this actually true? So living in the US I just have to create a website and an email address under that website to be accepted by the ovi store as a company?

Thanks in advance,

Super Contributor

Re: Can I publish to the ovi store using my social security number as my tax id?

This page shows what we need to start with publishing...
    https://publish.ovi.com/register/publisher

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Can I publish to the ovi store using my social security number as my tax id?

In the United States there is something called Doing Business As or DBA for short. You simply go to the local county clerk and fill out a form (with a small fee) and create your business name . This allows you to have a business using your personal SS number. You can open a bank account using that name and number and you can use that for your business.

When I was writing shareware and doing odd jobs on the side that is how I did my business name. This is how hundreds of thousands small businesses work in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by cb50 View Post
    If I live in the USA can I use my social security number as "my company"'s tax id for publishing to the ovi store? Searching around on this forum it seems like you have to be a company with a "tax id" to publish to the ovi store, but according to post #8 on this thread http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=165916 if you live in the US you can simply use your social security number. Is this actually true? So living in the US I just have to create a website and an email address under that website to be accepted by the ovi store as a company?

Thanks in advance,

Ok thank you. That doesn't sound too hard... I'll definitely check it out.

Super Contributor

The issue is: I am not sure whether TrustCenter will accept that.

Why not go for a full-bölown UK limited or Panamese company? There are companies specialized on running those - and there are loads and loads of benefits (think taxes!!!) to be had for a comparatively small (500e a year or so) price.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog