Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Using camera with specific parameters

Hi,

I'm starting a project that use the camera for image analyse. I have to use some specific parameters to be sure that the camera will "see" what I need in my picture.

For Now I just tried to take some pictures with the onboard camera application. Here is the configuration I need :
    Exposition 1.5 or 1.7
    AT : close-up
    Flash : off
    White balance : sunny
    Colour tone : normal

I just take a look at the api, and I'm not sure that I can use set all of thoses parameters with the public api. Specialy about the Exposition. Apparently there is only specifics presets. So I have some question about some presets

EExposureNight: I'm not sure this will works with my needs, I only did a quick test on N95, and when the preset night was selected the autofocus wasn't working. Is that only a problem of this device ? Or I can except it to works fine on other devices ?

EExposureManual and EExposureProgram : I'm not sure about how to use thoses ones. I presume manual refer to the user prefenced stored in the camera configuration in the editable settings ? and exposureProgram refer to a not public api ? Is that possible to request a api partnering with nokia to access this kind of api If the exposureNight don't fill my needs ?

EExposureInfra : Is there some device with a infrared camera ? It could be interesting to know about this.

In the case I cannot use the api to analyse my picture, is there any option to launch the native camera application for a "one shot" picture with the specified settings i need, and once the picture is done, automaticaly return my application and get the full path of the new picture ? (like the SHCameraCapture on WM ? )

Re: Using camera with specific parameters

I think you should try asking for API partnering request.

Regular Contributor

I also seen on one of the api reference there was a CCamera::CCameraPresets that could be use to auto set some parameters of the camera. But I wasn't able to figure how to use it exactly. (http://81.91.109.109/main/downloads/..._API_v1.02.pdf)

for exemple
    iCameraPresets = CCamera::CCameraPresets::NewL(*iCamera);
    don't seems to compile. I'll perhaps test it with another SDK. (tested with the MR sdk) But I didn't spend so much time to figure it out, perhaps just a configuration in my dev. environement.

So if I can use this, I'll perhaps be able to select the "user settings". (In the natiev camera you can configure a user preference settings). It can be a workaround before finding a real solution, and developping a prototype.

For now I'll perhaps just get a support case request to see if there is some solution. If the technicien can confirme me that the api parnering is the only way to do it, I'll do it.

Thanks anyway for you answer , if someone has any ideas about the use of the camera presets, I'll be happy to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Christophe.A View Post
    EExposureNight: I'm not sure this will works with my needs, I only did a quick test on N95, and when the preset night was selected the autofocus wasn't working. Is that only a problem of this device ? Or I can except it to works fine on other devices ?

EExposureManual and EExposureProgram : I'm not sure about how to use thoses ones. I presume manual refer to the user prefenced stored in the camera configuration in the editable settings ? and exposureProgram refer to a not public api ? Is that possible to request a api partnering with nokia to access this kind of api If the exposureNight don't fill my needs ?

EExposureInfra : Is there some device with a infrared camera ? It could be interesting to know about this.
    Hi,

As far as I can see, exposure is the only one in your list of settings that is problematic. Colour tone is normal by default, and values for all of the other settings (except autofocus, but seems like you're already able to use it) can be set using the basic CCamera API.

I guess you want longer exposure times than what EExposureNight gives? EExposureVeryLong does that, but it's not supported on all devices. I haven't seen EExposureManual or EExposureProgram supported anywhere, and I doubt that there's any non-public API either, that would allow you to manually adjust the exposure time.

If you need to take photos in low light conditions, you might also want to take a look at ISO rate setting (CCameraAdvancedSettings::SetISORateL). Advanced settings are only available on 3rd edition FP2 and newer, though, so it won't work on the N95.

-TongMuan

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kamalakshan View Post
    I think you should try asking for API partnering request.
    Do you know for sure that there is one available?
    As far as I know, there isn't any exposure control API available, even through the API partnering program.

Quote Originally Posted by dudi View Post
    Do you know for sure that there is one available?
    As far as I know, there isn't any exposure control API available, even through the API partnering program.
    No I am not aware it either, but no harm in asking if any API is available that could help.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I've tested my pic analyse with the EExposureNight parameter, but it's not enought. I've also tested with EExposureVeryLong, but I didn't find (in my stock) any device that support it. Any purposition about which device will support this ?

I didn't find any device that support the CCameraPresets neither. I always get a "not supported" return when I use the constructor.

device tested : E71, N95, N79, 5800xm.

I begin to think that there is no way to do what I want, Even if the device "can do it" I'm not able to use thoses capabilities for my needs. Will I be forced to let the user take a picture, and tell how to configure the device to have the right settings, and then launch my application to get the last picture taken and analyse it ? It's a pretty bad usecase scenario, even for a prototype.

--
    some details about the picture : it's a print with some special ink, with your eyes it's realy hard to spot which part of the image is printed with this ink, but using high exposure does.

Nokia Developer Expert

I didn't find any device that support the CCameraPresets neither. I always get a "not supported" return when I use the constructor.
    I can confirm that presets are not supported in any of Nokia devices. But even if they were you would not get any advantage. Presets are just a bunch of settings bundled together so everything you achieve with them you achieve also by adjusting individual settings.

Even if the device "can do it" I'm not able to use thoses capabilities for my needs.
    Does this mean that you achieve the wanted behavior with the device built-in application? If that is the case you should be able to achieve it in your own app too. The built-in in app uses the same APIs after all.
    janza

I've tested my pic analyse with the EExposureNight parameter, but it's not enought. I've also tested with EExposureVeryLong, but I didn't find (in my stock) any device that support it. Any purposition about which device will support this ?
    Hi,

EExposureVeryLong works at least on 6220 Classic, and gives up to 1.26 second exposure times on that device, according to the captured images' EXIF data.

-TongMuan

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by janza View Post
    Does this mean that you achieve the wanted behavior with the device built-in application? If that is the case you should be able to achieve it in your own app too. The built-in in app uses the same APIs after all.
    Not sure about this, but so, wait & see to be sure, I'm in discution about that with a nokia technician via a support request. I realy have the feeling that I've tested all the possibilities to set programaticaly the exposure to an specific value, but all I get was unsuported features. I also asked them about which device will support which exposure.

Hi,
    EExposureVeryLong works at least on 6220 Classic, and gives up to 1.26 second exposure times on that device, according to the captured images' EXIF data.
    Thank about this details. I'll check if I can get one for my testes. I've made my testes with a 1.7 and it was fine, but didn't checked with less exposition. I'll see if it can be enough.

Hi.
    In case anyone follows this post, please visit also http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...de-of-a-camera. I ask there how can I set programatically the scene mode for S60 2nd edition (e.g., 6680) and 3rd edition and more.
    Best regards.