Discussion Board

Exclamation Fixing faulty GPS Locations (Bad reception; indoors/in tunnels) [ N97 Mini / PS2.0 ]

Hello all,

So here I am, with a brand new Nokia N97 Mini, having great fun developing some new widgets.
    But then, it started to become obvious some major things you would expect from the API as a coder, are actually pretty difficult using PS2.0. Whether that is because it lacks functionality, or I am in heavy need of smarting up a bit, is yet unknown. Please read on.

Here's what I'm wasting my time with.
    I'm trying to have a WRT widget monitor my GPS location using PS2.0 and watchPosition, collecting all locations in an array, and when the phone is active (non-idle, and thus allowed to post data to the net using ajax), post them all to my server to create a mobile tracker. So far, so good. Got all this in working order within an hour or two.

Now here comes the main problem:
    Sometimes, while tracking myself going around town i pass through tunnels and or walk into the office, or occasionally a store, in which ofcourse gps reception is minimal. So far, I havent been able to either detect low gps reception, low accuracy, or the -amount of satellites and signalstrength- from the device using platform services at all. This becomes pretty annoying when laying plotlines on a map.

Please see my example here:
    http://www.jaspergoes.com/tracker/no...xample_one.php

The Green line is my track from the office, on the bike, to the supermarket downtown.
    So far, so good. You can see at the beginning of the line, I am still inside the office and reception sucks.
    Then, the red line indicates all tracking done from INSIDE the supermarket. As you might see, thats a whole bunch of useless data there. Then the blue line is my way from the supermarket back to the office, notice it zigzaggin' along the way, while i wasnt biking in drunk state at all. But okay, zigzagging is fine, but follow the blue line a bit further back to the office, and notice the 100meter jump it makes when i enter a tunnel that goes underneath the railroad tracks. Once crossed, all is fine again, and gives another piece of crap when i re-enter the office at last.

While in the process of creating this tracker so-far, i've come up with an awful amount of possible PS2.0 update-requests, which i will spare you for the time being.

NOW MY QUESTION IS, after seeing the plot tracked, HOW do I detect faulty gps locations, either counting the satellites, their signalstrength, the distance between cached locationpoints, or -whatever-.
    When going inside a building, i essentially want the caching to stop at the last -accurate- reading, and continue when gps reception comes back up.

Please help me out, once a solution has been found, I sure will post it over here.

I will post another thread with updaterequests and questions for solutions for minor problems i encountered doing this.

Thanks a great deal for reading, I'm waiting impatiently for answers.

Jasper

Re: Fixing faulty GPS Locations (Bad reception; indoors/in tunnels) [ N97 Mini / PS2.

Have you tried with other GPS?, maybe your GPS is faulty, check this thread

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...ems/m-p/504518

Re: Fixing faulty GPS Locations (Bad reception; indoors/in tunnels) [ N97 Mini / PS2.

Thanks for your reply, but this was not the kind of information I needed.

I ment to find accurate locations scriptwise in WRT Widgets, but the problem has been solved since.

I will post some code reasonably soon, when I'm finished building the widget.

Thanks again.

Jasper