Discussion Board

Question [Moved] What are the difference of Qt Development Tools, Carbide C++ and SDK?

Hi,
    I am newbie in the development of Nokia applications. I am confused between the Qt development tools, carbide C++ and SDK. What are the difference between them? Which one should I download and install to start my first "HelloWorld" program?

Thanks.

Regards,
    William

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: What are the difference of Qt Development Tools, Carbide C++ and SDK?

Hi William,

First of all you need to decide on what technology you want to start developing. Do you want to work with Symbian C++ or Qt for Symbian?
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Quote Originally Posted by kiran10182 View Post
    Hi William,

First of all you need to decide on what technology you want to start developing. Do you want to work with Symbian C++ or Qt for Symbian?
    I would like to work with Qt. Is Qt required developer to pay in order to use it?

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by sdas86 View Post
    I would like to work with Qt. Is Qt required developer to pay in order to use it?
    There are two flavors in which Qt is available. 1) LGPL and 2)Commercial

Read more about the offerings from here: http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/

And check this article to setup Qt on your machine: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...t_Mobility_API

PS: I am moving your thread to Qt section so that you would get peers from Qt to answer your subsequent question.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Super Contributor

Re: [Moved] What are the difference of Qt Development Tools, Carbide C++ and SDK?

It's definitely confusing. Somewhere there's a halfway decent glossary of sorts, describing the different components, but I apparently don't have it bookmarked.

Super Contributor

Re: [Moved] What are the difference of Qt Development Tools, Carbide C++ and SDK?

This is my favorite reference for setting up the Qt/Symbian/Carbide environment:
    http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...Qt_Quick_Start

(Be sure to follow it VERY carefully. There are lots of steps and missing one can make the whole thing fail in nonsensical ways.)

Is it possible to create an app just using Qt and then compile it without changes for Symbian, Meego & Linux KDE?

I don't want to have to create one version for Symbian, a different version for Meego and yet another for the desktop, I'd like to just stick to the features that go everywhere. Is that possible?

If so would somebody please advise which tool(s) I need to download.

Thanks.

Steve

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    Is it possible to create an app just using Qt and then compile it without changes for Symbian, Meego & Linux KDE?

I don't want to have to create one version for Symbian, a different version for Meego and yet another for the desktop, I'd like to just stick to the features that go everywhere. Is that possible?

If so would somebody please advise which tool(s) I need to download.

Thanks.

Steve
    Yes, it's possible using conditionally compiled code.
    In .pro file it would be
    Code:
    unix {}
    maemo5 {}
    symbian {}
    In source code
    Code:
    #ifdef Q_WS_MAEMO_5
    #endif
    #ifdef Q_OS_SYMBIAN
    #endif
    #ifdef Q_OS_X11
    #endif

Super Contributor

I'd add that there are a number of UI details you need to allow for. For instance, the font size specification is different between Windows and Symbian -- if you use a 12 point font on Windows, eg, you want to use about 6 point on Symbian to get the same visual results.