Discussion Board

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Re: Java support on future Nokia devices

Hi,

I am surprising to learn that MIDP market is dropping...

I think Nokia made many things with adding eSWT... To improve the support of eSWT (adding the ScrolledComposite for instance) and perhaps the support of some evolution of the Java language (Java 5 : with for instance List<String>, ...) will be a very good thing... The difficulty is perhaps that the specification of the MIDP/CLDC is in late according to the evolution of the Java language...

But eSWT is an important evolution with the possibility to make better controlled UI... It is also interesting because it is easy to give the source code of a midlet with eSWT and executing it (with small change) on a PC with Window, Linux, ...

FS

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I work for one personal project with eSWT... It is very easy to create complex screens with command, canvas, text, button... With the possibilities of GridLayout and GridData it is very easy to change the construction of the screen according to the phone orientation... I have many screens with many types of controls and it works very fine... So I just want to say that eSWT is a very good solution for UI on Nokia device if you want to go on with Java...

The only thing that I don't understand is that the ScrolledComposite should be introduce with the Java Runtime 2.1 but it is not, if I am not wrong, available on the symbian^3 v1.0 ?

To introduce SQL lite on Nokia device and Java should be a good idea too...

Bye

Regular Contributor

Hi,

Just a correction... eSWT is good for Symbian 5th (a 5800 for instance) but less interesting for Symbian^3... The same program with scrolled composite (coming from eclipse source) runs better on 5800 (5th) than on N8 (^3)... It is more speed and more stable on 5800...

I hope it will be corrected on Symbian Anna...

Bye

Oracle should make Java SE work on smartphones. Just like they make Java SE versions for Windows, Linux and OS X. The smartphones are fast enough to handle Java SE. No phone maker is going to pay Java ME licenses anymore. Blackberry, the last Java OS for smartphones is moving towards another OS aswell. (QNX)

This is the last positive message from Oracle about Java ME: http://www.computerworld.com.sg/reso...-mobile-space/

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Java ME to die. But a lot needs to change if they want to save it from dying.

JavaME is enough for most apps, I'm not saying that some fresh new APIs and some UI API refactor isn't needed,
    the biggest problem now is that is fading out from phones. A JVM for current OS is needed.

Nokia Developer Champion

JavaME is enough for most apps, I'm not saying that some fresh new APIs and some UI API refactor isn't needed,
    the biggest problem now is that is fading out from phones. A JVM for current OS is needed.
    Hope it comes soon.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Regular Contributor

A good thing for J2ME will be to integrate QML/QTJambi on symbian... eSWT is good but when you speak about a new fresh ui, I think to QML... Is nokia plans to integrate QML in Java ?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by frasene View Post
    Is nokia plans to integrate QML in Java ?
    I dont think there are any plans like this.

Regards
    Gopal

Nokia Developer Champion

Java support on S40 devices should be enhanced to match Android...
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by im2amit View Post
    Java support on S40 devices should be enhanced to match Android...
    What all features in Android would be really desirable for you in Series 40 ? Let me know and I can convey it to the Series 40 team.

Also to add , Series 40 is always coming up with innovations and one interesting feature in upcoming Series 40 devcies supports Cell ID in Location API (JSR-179), which opens up lot of opportunities for developers.

Regards
    Gopal

Nokia Developer Champion

XML based UI layer management and UI designer, which will help us in better segregation of UI with business logic.

Better Multitasking / Multiprocessing capabilities allowing 3rd party apps to run in background as services.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh

Super Contributor

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I will take this up with the team.

Regards
    Gopal

Regular Contributor

Hi,

XML/JSON will be a good thing for the UI, but I think just having eSWT on S40 will be interesting...

I don't know Nokia UI API but is the developer choose the positions of the widgets ? Or, as for MIDP UI, this is the implementation of J2ME/MIDP which is responsible on where to place the controls (menu, flow...)...

Thanks

Anothers things :
    > to have a complete midi implementation (a set of 127 right instruments, pan, balance) on Nokia devices will be a good thing to make good software like (but smally) "Band In A Box";
    > I will be pleased to plug my guitar on the phone with a jack connector to have effect pedal like chorus, overdrive and to use the speakers of the phone to produce the sounds without boring my neighbors.
    Last edited by frasene; 2011-07-27 at 08:04.

Regular Contributor

If there will be Qt for S40 as some people and news suggest, then I wonder what will be the future of Java on S40 devices. Is the ' Next billion ' S40 or ..., any more info ?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 1xuname1x View Post
    If there will be Qt for S40 as some people and news suggest, then I wonder what will be the future of Java on S40 devices. Is the ' Next billion ' S40 or ..., any more info ?
    Nokia has not announced anything related to Series 40 futures with or without Qt, or some other OS for volume market, instead, or what they plan with Java.