Discussion Board

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Re: Java support on future Nokia devices

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Nokia has not announced anything related to Series 40 futures with or without Qt, or some other OS for volume market, instead, or what they plan with Java.
    Nokia had announced that Qt will power ' next billion ' at Nokia connection event. I wonder what ' next billion ' is if it is not S40.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 1xuname1x View Post
    Nokia had announced that Qt will power ' next billion ' at Nokia connection event. I wonder what ' next billion ' is if it is not S40.
    It is either Series 40, or something they inted to replace Series 40 with, I presume.

i am using nokia 5233 , s60 based phone. java integration should be raised to beat android. I hope s60 has fulfilled my expectations.i am expecting more from nokia very soon.

With regards
    John Paul
    Led lighting
    Last edited by balagopalks; 2011-08-10 at 11:03. Reason: Removed Advt URL

I'm sad to see how Java is going this days.

Blackberry is abandoning Java for QNX (it will support it for some time but who knows), Nokia is abandoning Java and make symbian die,
    google is cheating oracle with a "modded" java version...
    Oracle makes many words a too few facts, where is JavaME.next?

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by sblantipodi View Post
    Nokia is abandoning Java
    I do not agree....... new Java platform (Nokia SDK 1.0) on S40 6th edition is now having many more cool features and these S40 devices are selling in big numbers.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Quote Originally Posted by im2amit View Post
    ...and these S40 devices are selling in big numbers.
    I respect your opinion im2amit, you are an expert and you have your reasons
    but this is true but not in rich country imho. (the one that make us eat by selling software)

Grandmothers are buying cheap android phones because it has big numerical keyboard.

You know, I love JavaME and I don't like google also if is feeding me but S40 is completely faded out here in europe. I think the same in america.
    S40 is the answer for the third world now and I'm not too much sure that it will be true for a long time.
    It is also true that people who buy S40 now buy it because it need a cheap phone to make a call or send an SMS, not a phone to load apps in. Target is completely different, personally I don't sell a license on S40 since more than 6 months on hundred of licenses sold every months.

Personally I think that with S40 you can do magicians but people don't want to hear anything else than Android and iPhone o_O

Nokia Developer Champion

Personally I think that with S40 you can do magicians but people don't want to hear anything else than Android and iPhone o_O
    Don't worry people will start hearing Nokia with WP7 very soon and by 2015, its predicted by some people that WP7 will out number iphone users.
    Once Nokia is back as the world leader in mobile phones.... the new more powerful S40's by then will also get back to main stream making our reach to millions.

Be Optimistic ! :-)

Don't try to sell Licences, try out ad powered free web apps !
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

our software is too "business focused" to make free ad apps, we sell the 85% of the downloaded trial, free ads not work in this scenario.

I like your optimistic thinking :-)
    generally I see the half empty glass instead of the half full glass but its nice to see some optimistic reasoning so ok I will be optimistic.

S40 is completely faded out here in europe. I think the same in america.
    S40 is the answer for the third world now and I'm not too much sure that it will be true for a long time.
    I was despondent about NOKIA when Elop announced he was dropping Symbian for WP7 (seemed like a step backwards to me) but the new Asha 303 has given me new optimism. Now I can get a handset with all the features I want (NOKIA maps, WiFi, USB MS, USB OTG, 3G, Java, Bluetooth, etc...) and it's even more affordable than Symbian handsets.

I don't know how representative my opinion is, I'm just one person, but I am European and if I can get a handset with this level of functionality unlocked for EUR 115 I'll be very happy indeed.

I also understand the reason Q3 2011 was not as catastrophic as Q2 2011 for NOKIA was because Series 40 performed well.

A good breath.
    What a big emotion to donwload a new JavaME SDK this days
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...tures-and-more

Regular Contributor

Hi,

Yes there is a new tool for java... but only for S40...

And for S60 (5ed, Symbian^3, Anna, Belle) ?

I don't understand Java on S40 as long as no new UI library will be available... May I develop with LCDUI ? I don't know the Nokia UI api so what can we do with this ? Why not eSWT as for S60 ?

Thanks

Regular Contributor

Another thing that concerns me is that Nokia says that Qt is the development platform for the next billion. There are rumors that Nokia is readying a linux based OS to replace S40. If so what is the future of J2me. Just develop for legacy devices ? Or both Qt and J2me will be supported ?

JavaME is actually dead, Sun/Oracle made it diing by creating no improvements in such years.

Regular Contributor

Hi, I don't know if we can say that J2ME is dead... The java version language is old (not the improvements of Java 5) but the libraries exist (location, game api, media api)...The major problem for me is the UI... I can't today use the lcdui which is completely obsolete... And nobody say me what is it possible with the Nokia UI ? The eSWT is not the best ui but it is good (but there is no xml description of the UI like android or XAML) except the fact that I have seen some bugs (or perhaps a mistake of me) with the kinetic scroll and that eSWT runs differently following 3Ed, 5Ed, Symbian^3 and Anna...

I have never seen J2ME on linux but perhaps...

JavaME 3.0.5 is out.
    Give it a try and please share what do you think about it.
    http://blogs.oracle.com/javamesdk/entry/java_me_sdk_3_0