Discussion Board

Question Need help using SDL with Symbian S60v3

Firstly, I'm not new to programming C++ just to compiling for the Symbian platform.

I am new to Symbian.
    I am new to Carbide C++.

I have been trying (in vain) to compile a simple test project using SDL for Symbian S60 with the Symbian S60v3 FP1 SDK.
    I have tried AnotherGuest's SDL port from here (scroll to bottom) and also tried S60SDL from here.

The main thing I am unsure about, is how to set it up in Carbide C++ and what compiler to use. Do I use GCCE?

I'm also not sure how to get ARMv5 compiling to work, but I assume that is due to having to download the ARM compiler separately. (isn't that a trial only?)

Edit: ALSO, if you could list which modules / plug-ins and other files I need to install on PC / Phone and the order in which they need to be installed. I'll appreciate it.

Oh and I have a Nokia E63 with USB data-cable.

If you guys could help me get on the right course, I will thank you eternally.

Cheers!
    Last edited by DWMI; 2010-03-22 at 15:43. Reason: added new details

Regular Contributor

Re: Need help using SDL with Symbian S60v3

you dono have to install the compiler separately.the only thing that u need to do is to install the carbide thats all.I hope u have install the sdk \, java and the perl stuff then only you will be able to play with the symbian.

ARM is not free of cost,u need to buy the license for it, but with gcce compiler which is already there with yur sdk , u can build the app fot the target.

for installing yur app on the target, u need to build yur app with gcce and create the sisx file, i hope yu have the key and certificate for the same, and then install on yur mobile by transfering the same sisx file either through bluetooth or by usb

Quote Originally Posted by mdzahidul_haque View Post
    you dono have to install the compiler separately.the only thing that u need to do is to install the carbide thats all.I hope u have install the sdk \, java and the perl stuff then only you will be able to play with the symbian.

ARM is not free of cost,u need to buy the license for it, but with gcce compiler which is already there with yur sdk , u can build the app fot the target.

for installing yur app on the target, u need to build yur app with gcce and create the sisx file, i hope yu have the key and certificate for the same, and then install on yur mobile by transfering the same sisx file either through bluetooth or by usb
    I'm not having an issue compiling for Symbian. Only having an issue compiling SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer) apps for Symbian.

There is a ported library for SDL on Symbian OS and I need some advice on using it and compiling apps for it.

But thanks for your reply!

Anyone got specific advice for compiling ported SDL apps for Symbian OS S60v3?

I've now got a KERN-EXEC 3 error when I call SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO).

Maybe I'm just not getting this...

Anyone got an SDL S60 example that runs in Carbide.c++ or should I use another IDE?

Nokia Developer Moderator

I do not know SDL, but http://koti.mbnet.fi/mertama/sdl.html refers to an Invaders example, and its source code seems to contain the Symbian-specific project files (bld.inf, .mmp, resources).
    Have you tried building it?