Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Windows7, 64bit, how set up java tools

Hello developers,

so I got a new PC for development, with Windows 7 in 64-bit Mode. Like many developers, I skipped Vista, but we can not always live in the past. I try to use the security-enhancement that windows 7 brings, so I try to install as admin and use the software as normal user. I installed a 64-Bit Java SDK (6u18) and Netbeans works great and fast.

Now it seems no to be so easy with our emulators and sdks ...

I started with the Java_ME_Platform_SDK 3.0. I have installed it. But Netbeans does not recognize it as Mobile SDK. So I started it stand-alone. I got an exception that it can not open a connection. The exception seem to be thrown in an endless loop ...
    So there I thought it is firewall problem. After some investigation, I found the tip that I should have run the setup with explicit admin rights (from context menu).
    So I try to deinstall it, to reinstall it. But deinstalling failed:
    "Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform"

In the release notes from sun, I found the message:
    "The Java ME SDK runs on Window XP and Windows Vista (32-bit). Windows Vista for X64 systems will be supported in a future release."
    So I didn't read it carefully enough before, shame on me ... But I wish that sun is not throwing the error during install and not during uninstall...

So, there are many options to still get everything to work. I want to use as much of the modern 64-bit operation system as possible. I see many tips, but it somehow difficult to get definite answers.

So I wrote this post also as gather informations and share them. I see the following options:

Make sure to give admin rights to the installer. It is not clear to me what this exactly does.

Install also Java 32-bit. JRE or also JDK? (IDE seem to work with 64 bit)
    Now I have to update two jdks when there is a new version ...

There are options to run a program in some kind of compability-mode in windows-7. Does this help?
    Also, I can have a windows-7 compability-layer with windows-7 professional.
    This should help. Is it possible to run the ide in normal 64 bit mode and only emulators in windows-xp-mode? Or do I need to run the IDE also in XP-Mode?

Regards

Karsten Meier

So, to me, and many other devlopers, there are the question how to install our software,

Regular Contributor

Re: Windows7, 64bit, how set up java tools

Ok, got some first success:
    I installed also 32-bit java jdk. Now I needed to tell the SDK that which jdk-version to use.
    There is a plain text file called "java" in thew bin directory of the SDK. This contains the path to the jdk to use.
    (I wish this were in the release notes...)

I logged in as administrator.
    I temporary lowered security in the windows UAC control panel. The I was able to start the SDK main user interface. I needed to confirm a few times that access is allowed.
    I was also able to detect the SDK inside Netbeans (still running 64-bit jdk), build a midlet and started the emulator from netbeans, running my midlet.
    I raised the UAC level again, and still was able to use the emulator.

When I logged in as normal user, I was able to detect the SDK from netbeans, but running the emulator from netbeans is not working, it seems to do nothing.
    Also I learned that I need to detect the SDK again, as all the settings I have done as administor are not used as normal user.

As developers, we have special responsibility to keep our machine clean from malware. We don't want that the software we produce contains malware.
    (have you read about vodafone and mariposa?). It is safer to use a normal user instead a administrator, and to have UAC and firewall switched on with high security settings.
    But it seem to be difficult and also a lot of work. I think the tool vendors should give more help with this, also for the security of the whole user base.

Regards

Karsten Meier

Regular Contributor

I noticed another surprising effect: I used a normal user to start the emulator from netbeans, but nothing seem to happen. When I switched to the administator user, the emulator was already there open. So the emulator started on the screen of the adminstrator....

i use windows 7 64-bit too... and in the emulator i dont know how to configure bluetooth.
    i tried to install the driver s60bt, but didnt work with win 7-64bit

Regular Contributor

Here is what i did on my Windows 7 64 bit:

1. Install Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
    2. Install Java Standard Edition Development Kit (J2SE SDK)
    3. Install NetBeans IDE with everything included (NetBeans)

Number 3 includes the SDK's for J2ME and J2EE. I had no problems after i did these 3 steps. If you're having problems, make sure you've deleted all entries from the registry before you install (Java, NetBeans entries).

Also, i only work in Administrator, so i don't know about using Users
    Good luck !

Regular Contributor

Now I tried to install S60-5th edition sdk Version 1.0
    I still work with Windows 7 64 bit.
    The emulator does not work.
    When I called the emulator, it crashed after a few seconds, still in its startup time.
    I then deinstalled it, and installed it again, this time without the C++
    I also installed Perl, just in case it is somewhere needed.
    Now, the emulator does not even start.
    In the logfile %TMP%/epocwind.out I find the following lines:
    984.840 Assertion failed in file=strtglobalstatemachine.cpp, line=252
    984.840 Thread SYSSTART.EXE::StarterServer Panic USER 0
    984.840 FAULT: KERN 0x00000004 (4)

Any luck with this ? I have a similar issue with Java on Win7-64. Emulator closes after about 5 secs, when launced from Start menu and/or Eclipse. EpocWind.out says :

5.855 CEikServAppUiBase::InitializeL(fctry) succeed
    5.855 CEikServAppUi::ConstructL(), Creating WG for status pane
    5.855 CEikServAppUi::ConstructL(), Starting sound server
    5.855 Thread eiksrvs.exe::KeySoundServerThread created @ 0x1d1e420 - Win32 Thread ID 0x1cb8
    5.855 -3
    5.855 CDRMClock::TimeChanged
    5.860 cenrep CEikKeySoundServer::ConstructL 1
    5.875 CEikServAppUi::ConstructL(), Keysounds and plugin initialized
    6.055 Thread MMFAudioServer.exe::Main created @ 0x1d31130 - Win32 Thread ID 0x1e9c
    6.125 Thread eiksrvs.exe::Main created @ 0x1d448b0 - Win32 Thread ID 0x1640
    6.125 CMMFAudioServer[0x1e770128]::ConstructL - enter
    6.125 CMMFAudioServerFactory[0x1e77020c]::StartL
    6.125 Thread MMFAudioServer.exe::Local-01d23a98 created @ 0x1d23d58 - Win32 Thread ID 0x1ea8
    6.125 CDirWatcher::RunL <-
    6.125 CDRMClock::TimeChanged ok
    6.260 Thread MMFAudioServer.exe::MMFAudioPolicyServer Killed -19
    6.265 CMMFAudioServerFactory[0x1e77020c]::StopL
    6.265 Thread eiksrvs.exe::EikAppUiServerThread Panic KERN-EXEC 3
    6.265 Thread eiksrvs.exe::UikonWatchers Panic KERN-EXEC 3
    6.265 Thread eiksrvs.exe::ViewServerThread Panic KERN-EXEC 3
    6.265 FAULT: KERN 0x00000004 (4)

Have tried disabling audio, but no difference.

Hang on - just tried again - found a record playback device still enabled, disabled it, and now have emulator with menus, and so on.

Regular Contributor

What kind of "record playback device" was this? Was it hardware or software?

And why does it crashes the emulator?
    I would prefer to have a working emulator without sound then a crashing emulator with sound...

Regular Contributor

Windows 7 Professional allows you to have a virtual Windows XP with Virtual PC.
    I decided to give it a try.

Advantages:
    • You use an Windows XP, the OS that is verified to work.
    • You only install the needed tools inside your virtual environment. So the risk of one installed software, driver or SDK influencing another is minimized
    • You can use the default settings, like put everything on c:
    • If you need to lower the security, (as Nokia seems to want from us ) you not doing it in your main environment. For example, you just not do any email or internet browsing in the less secure Windows XP environment.
    • You can always throw away the system and start new, without loosing everything you are doing

After creating a virtual machine, some tuning is important. You need to assign more memory than the default 512kb, otherwise our emulator will get slow. Also it is a good idea to switch off not needed services, like indexing.

I already managed to install S60-5th edition and run the emulator stand alone and load my software from an internet server. the diagnostics menu entry is not working out of the box, the "ECMT Man" does not start, again our friend MSVCR71.dll is missing.
    I'm also not sure yet how I can integrate it with the IDE so that I can run the emulator from the IDE in Windows 7, or even debug with it. Of course I could run the IDE also in XP, but than I end up doing all my work in XP, and that is not what I want to do in the year 2010.