Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Symbian Signing - RIP ?

Can we get rid of this Symbian signing please ? Is this possible in future. It is absolutely a waste of money to spend $200 per year and $20 per application. I intend to develop only a few application (2 or 3) per year. For this i need to spend $240 to $260 which is awful. Can it be done in this way.

Developers submit unsigned app and Nokia can sign this app on behalf of them and publish to OVI.

Nokia can take a percentage sale of the app (10-20%). So instead of 70-30% share it can 60-40% for unsigned application.

1. Developers will be happy (i really mean it).
    2. More applications will be available to end users
    3. Nokia can still make money from the app sales.

Please don't say that Symbian is a different company and Nokia cannot do anything. It is possible Nokia because you have the complete authority over Symbian.

For one time, please listen to your developers. You will definitely make money with this business model and also keep your developers happy.

Regards,
    Symbian Developer.

Super Contributor

Re: Symbian Signing - RIP ?

Quote Originally Posted by vinothg View Post
    Can we get rid of this Symbian signing please ? Is this possible in future. It is absolutely a waste of money to spend $200 per year and $20 per application. I intend to develop only a few application (2 or 3) per year. For this i need to spend $240 to $260 which is awful. Can it be done in this way.

Developers submit unsigned app and Nokia can sign this app on behalf of them and publish to OVI.

Nokia can take a percentage sale of the app (10-20%). So instead of 70-30% share it can 60-40% for unsigned application.

1. Developers will be happy (i really mean it).
    2. More applications will be available to end users
    3. Nokia can still make money from the app sales.

Please don't say that Symbian is a different company and Nokia cannot do anything. It is possible Nokia because you have the complete authority over Symbian.

For one time, please listen to your developers. You will definitely make money with this business model and also keep your developers happy.

Regards,
    Symbian Developer.

Hello vinothg!

Thank You for your feedback and thoughts, which I could believe many would share.

However, I do not have any information that would indicate the current process would be changing anytime soon, if it ever will.

This belongs to those matters for which we just need to wait and see how it goes.

Meanwhile, keep your feedback and ideas coming in!

Best Regards,
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][I]Marko Lumivuori
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330
    [email]marko.lumivuori@nokia.com[/email][/I][/FONT]

This should be an option for those who don't want to purchase a Publisher id, and not for everybody-

Having an additional share by Nokia of 10% would mean that, if your application generates 1000 Eur of revenue, you end up paying 100 Euro instead of current 10 Euro, only to avoid symbian signed fees! that's insane if you have more than 2 applications on the store!

If you don't want to spend 200$ per year for a publisher id it means that you are not a professional developer with adeguate financial resources.... and in my opinion you should not even be on Ovi. A decent app on Ovi store will make a mininum revenue of several hundreds of euro, and then the publisher Id should not be a problem...

speaking as a publisher i would HATE that if this would happen...
    we're starting to see alot of bad quality apps on nokia and in my view those who cant efford a certificate generaly would generate a not high quality app/game.

Regular Contributor

FYI .. My app (Local Guide) is the second best selling app in city&Guides category for touch phones (https://store.ovi.com/#/applications...priceType=paid).

Don't always think that only companies can make apps of high quality. Individual developers can also make it and I am an individual developer

I was asking them to provide such an option so my friends who are more talented than me can also write some beautiful application. They are not into this business because they don't have a company and they don't have the enough money to purchase certificates.

If they get a few hundred dollars with this option then they can invest the same to buy symbian certification.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Those friends can work for you, and you would publish their applications. That is how businesses work and prosper.

What would be your next request? International travel to be possible without having to pay for getting a passport? That because your friends would like to see Disneyland but they don't have money for passport, visas or airplain fares for that matter ...

Your friends can still release self-signed applications on their own web sites, which would be about the same as being able to travel freely within their country.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by vinothg View Post
    FYI .. My app (Local Guide) is the second best selling app in city&Guides category for touch phones (https://store.ovi.com/#/applications...priceType=paid).

Don't always think that only companies can make apps of high quality. Individual developers can also make it and I am an individual developer

I was asking them to provide such an option so my friends who are more talented than me can also write some beautiful application. They are not into this business because they don't have a company and they don't have the enough money to purchase certificates.

If they get a few hundred dollars with this option then they can invest the same to buy symbian certification.
    Man, are you dumb? YOU do the signing for them, and act as a VAR for them!!!

All of you profit from this. You all have more power against Nokia, SE and Samsung (not sure whether I am allowed to say this here), in marketing, you look bigger, and so on.

Give me the adress of your friends and I will gladly help them prosper for a low cut of the profits. tamhan at tamoggemon dot com!
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

BTW and besides my bad English, I'd like to say that Nokia seems to care not about individual developers. As other members discussed in the symbian singing topic, the signing costs too much for an individual..
    I'm not gonna say this because the one who developed the following apps was me but really just one developer can make great apps for mobile phones. I started developing for Nokia about 4 years ago with Fl 1.1 and made such a nice "needed" and wanted app for Arabs, and kept improving it with the new versions of flash lite. It was a free application and I distributed it through my website and some ads over the net. Till that time I had no problem because this app was about 200MB so the there was no hope to distribute it OTA.

Then, I liked developing for cell phones because there are only a few Arabic companies who work in this field so there is a big market need.
    I made some simple apps but it was very hard to find an easy and cheap way to distribute them.

Couple of months ago, Calling all innovators Middle east has started and was very interesting with a (100,000$) cash for the first winner and 25,000 for the second and just nokia launchpad for the rest ten. Their prize allotment was weird !

I worked too much and made a "GREAT" game, the FIRST arabic word game. Yet there's no other real word game in Arabic neither for mobile nor pc. I did my best to make it pretty with graphics and motions and very interesting game play.
    check this video (it's in Arabic but the image speaks
    http://www.benefit-ms.com/?q=node/8

I didn't win those were the winners:
    http://bil3arabi.callingallinnovators.com/english
    (the grand prize winner made me wondered !! and sad his app idea was very regular and had nothing specific for Middle east).

However, I started to find a way to publish my game but..
    But it was very expensive to pay for the signing. I ripped my flash game in a widget and published a demo version on my account in Ovi store. 8 days later I received an email from nokia that my media was unpublished and after that I couldn't access my ovi account anymore.

So please, if you want to get benefit from what individual developers can generate then make the signing and publishing to ovi easier and cheaper. Also the activation/key is very important so our apps on ovi are not a piece of cake for pirates.
    Last edited by benefit_ms; 2010-03-25 at 12:43.

Super Contributor

Hi,
    this is perfect. I have arab staff in my company,and can even speak arabic myself (but not write).

If you need a publisher, let me know!
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog