Discussion Board

learn expert Polyphonic Ringtone programming

There are still a few places available for the following Headspace Polyphonic Ringtone Seminars for composers and ringtone vendors, taught by musician Thomas Dolby:

Madrid, Spain--April 25th 2003
    London, UK--May 1st 2003

During these one-day seminars, we cover such topics as:

-capabilites of different handsets
    -getting the best sound out of few voices and tiny speakers
    -the MIDI sound bank in Nokia phones
    -how to use your favourite MIDI sequencer for ringtones
    -creating SP-MIDI data
    -the MIP message
    -using tools from Nokia, Beatnik and others
    -SP-MIDI versus SMAF, MP3, AMR etc
    -copyright and business issues

Past attendees of this successful seminar series have included the best ringtone programmers in Europe, as well as mobile engineers from Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Yamaha and others. For more information and online booking form, please visit
    http://www.headspace.com

When are you going to do one in NYC? Also, I am comming over from PDAs and don't know cell phones at all. Assuming the ringtones can sound pretty good, I wonder if there is a way to combine and sync a midi track to RV, 3GP or MPEG4 video. The reason for this would be to maintain some sound while freeing up processor resources for higher bitrate (and quality) videos.

expert ringtone programming

We would certainly like to do a ringtone seminar in New York sometime soon (provided you have electricity There are no plans at present though.

You sound like your audio technique is already very advanced. You might want to check out the Yahoo Polytones group, (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/polytones) which is a goldmine of information shared between professional ringtone composers about specific handsets, file formats, and tecniques for making them sound as good as possible.

He Blinded Me With Science

Thanks Thomas - I joined and it looks like a good resource. As far as NYC going dark, it was a spooky experience that night but I was surprised how laid back people were about things! BTW, although the white pages here are very well done, it doesn't look like Nokia techs spend much time here - or is it just vacation time? If not, do you know of a more responsive forum for advanced questions on video, audio and programming for the 3650?

these pages...

.... are the best resource for programming questions. For the 3650 you can also try Symbian.com. Yes, it's certainly the tail end of holiday season in Finland, but Nokia techs do hang out here a lot. Probably the only way to get better response is if you're a known quantity and have a business relationship with them, eg if you're selling products via Tradepoint.

Thomas, thanks again - I didn't have a clue - I will talk to the Nokia folks soon!

Enstedt To The Rescue!

Thomas, you were right about Nokia - Enstedt just responded to a couple of my questions and he really seems to have access to some good information. Thanks again!