Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Signing questions

I have an aplication that i want to sing it.

I want the app to start on mobile start up. I'd make a symbian app that will start a JME app. The JME app will use an push registry alarm to autoRestart the app in case it gets terminated. What kind of signature i have to use? Can the symbian and the JME app be signed with the same signature? Will the information boxes (the ones asking if the user accept the app to autostart) stop showing if the app is signed?

OR do i have to use one signature to start the symbian app (like symbian signed) and another to start the jme app(VeriSign)?

Super Contributor

Re: Signing questions

Quote Originally Posted by frcc24 View Post
    I have an aplication that i want to sing it.
    My first advice would be: proceed very carefully. MIDP signing is very complicated, and does not always achieve what you expect.

What kind of signature i have to use?
    The signature must match a trusted root certificate on the device. Exactly what this is varies from device to device, but usually (for Nokias) includes Verisign, Thawte and Java Verified.

Can the symbian and the JME app be signed with the same signature?
    No, they are completely different.

Will the information boxes (the ones asking if the user accept the app to autostart) stop showing if the app is signed?
    No. The option to switch the security warning off might be enabled. The default setting might change from "always ask" to "ask first time". Exactly what will happen depends on the device's security policy, which depends on manufacturer, model, and any network operator modifications.

Read everything you can find. This page is a good place to start. You will find links there to other pages, and I suggest you read them all (and the pages they link to).

There is no way to sign your app for free. It will cost you money. Make sure that it will achieve what you want before you part with any money.

Graham.