Discussion Board

Performance issues on N97

I'm having serious performance issues on a game that uses accelerometer (via Services API). Accelerometer data seems to accumulate, generating a delay that get worse in time. Sometimes the game just stuck for a second. The game runs perfectly on several 5800 devices. FPS is 100, or 120, to allow proper accelerometer reading, but still I have this problem. 2 weeks ago it worked fine on N97 too, not nothing that I've changed looks suspicious to me... unfortunately I don't use version control, so I can't roll back.
    I have only one N97 device to test on. could it be a problem with that specific device? Anyone encountered such problems?

Thanks,
    Ranco

Re: Performance issues on N97

Hi Ranco,
    Using the Platform services and getting delay and performance issues are known issues in FL as of now.
    Even in 5800, using the accelerometer for more than 10 mins - you might end up with a hang of the phone.. There was a thread describing with the same issue.
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?p=694111
    Twitter - manikantan_k
    Just in --

Quote Originally Posted by manikantan View Post
    Hi Ranco,
    Using the Platform services and getting delay and performance issues are known issues in FL as of now.
    Even in 5800, using the accelerometer for more than 10 mins - you might end up with a hang of the phone.. There was a thread describing with the same issue.
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?p=694111
    Yes, I know all about this, but the game takes only ~60 seconds, and I've really optimized it so that sensor readings are collected as fast as possible, so it should work fine.
    What I now suspect is that N97 is FL3.0 and 5800 is FL3.1, which is better optimized for performance. I guess I'll have to start profiling on the N97 to get the bottleneck...
    Thanks,
    Ranco

you have to get some 25FPS

but try to make a widget, and use javascript to serve accelerometer data to your flash....

I've made something like this:
    Code:
    function echo(str){
    	var t=new Date();
    	if(t.valueOf()-T.valueOf()>1000/flashFPS){
    		document.getElementById("swfDIV").SetVariable("flashVariable", str);
    		T=new Date();
    	}
    }
    where echo is a function that is called from the callback function from API's mechanism from javascript

that function ensure that flash does not get values more than <flashFPS> per second

the problem is like this: the APIs throw values in flash more too fast, and the the flash waits the whole frame to process just one thrown value(even that frame was thrown many values)

Quote Originally Posted by ranco View Post
    Yes, I know all about this, but the game takes only ~60 seconds, and I've really optimized it so that sensor readings are collected as fast as possible, so it should work fine.
    What I now suspect is that N97 is FL3.0 and 5800 is FL3.1, which is better optimized for performance. I guess I'll have to start profiling on the N97 to get the bottleneck...
    Thanks,
    Ranco

After some profiling I found out that even if I set the FPS to 100 or 120, the accelerometer callback is being called ~12 times a sec, which of course causes the lag.
    The rest of the application takes 5-6 milisec per frame, so that's not the reason for the sensor callback not to be called.
    Again, on 5800 everything works perfectly! Problem occurs on (at least) 2 N97 that I've tested it.

any ideas?

Ranco