Discussion Board

Only 2MB onboard the 3650 ??!?!?

Only 2MB onboard the 3650 ??!?!?
    This is the standard size for Palm Pilot's about 5 years ago.

Is this for real ? I got a loner device and it has only 2MB onboard... and can i explain my experience with it ...

I got the device and just after a couple of days, with about 4 cool applications and games I downloaded from the internet, my phone could no longer install any more applications. Well I found a 16MB card i had around and put it in, moved all the applications except for one file utility to the memory card. Everything was fine, all new applications i installed straight to the memory card. And i always immediately deleted the bluetooth message in the inbox where my sis file had arrived.

In addition to the one utility, I store my messages and a couple of images on the phone card. So doing this, i typically have about 1.2 M left free on the device memory.

All this is ok, so long as you ship the 3650 *with* a memory card. Because users will realize it is useless without it and they won't appreciate u not including one with the phone since u *knew* it would be required. (You know like selling a car without a steering wheel. The steering wheel is sold seperately so only those that really need it must buy it)

Now an even bigger problem is this: My memory card has about 12MB free. I'm an average user and I find a really cool game (w/ lots of graphics and sounds) having about a 600KB SIS file. Now I know thats *much* bigger than the average application... but hey, i have a memory card with 12M free and this application looks really cool... Uncompresed i'll still have over 10MB free... so I go to intall it over bluetooth. The installer saves the SIS file and starts to intall but no it can't.. not enough memory. No problem I understand I only have 1.2 M and the phone has had to make a copy. So I delete my sis file from the inbox. Now I have about 650KB memory free, and i want to iintall this to my memory card... oops... again not enough memory. So finally I go and delete all my messages in my inbox, all my stored images. Finally I try again and it finally installs....
    So besides the major headache...here is my problem... The installer *must* be smart enough to use the memory card memory if there is not enough phone memory. The user *will* run into this and he will be very agrevated. To be usable you basically can't store anyhing on the device!

Anyone please comment and tell me if i am crazy or expecting too much, or are real users going to be frustrated like i was.

This is more than a phone... its a smartphone.. .and people will pay good money and will expect it to do at least what a palm can do... Palm's ship with at least 8MB of memory for the past couple years!!!

Regular Contributor

2MB memory too small!

Yes !! I agree with you! Nokia 3650 only having 2mb of memory which is too small already !!

About your problem. When you change the settings of your messaging inbox to your memory card, the problem of not installing software should be solved.

I have send a mp3 of 4 mb with bluetooth and it came in my inbox. So go to Messaging and then go to settings

Good luck!