Discussion Board

Thread: custom list

custom list

Hi all,

How would one go about implementing a custom list of say (products)? Could some give me a pointer please?

For instance, Is there an alternative way of designing something similar to a custom listfield or objectlistfield from rim api with the nokia s60 sdk? most of the apps pages i have in mind are just displaying lists of different data but with each list item displaying lots of different data.

(graham if your reading - I tried your advice of c++ with carbide but couldn't get it installed on xp or vista so going with java for now - your apparent knowledge of rims api would be so helpful right now)

Regards

Brendan

Super Contributor

Re: custom list

You can't "customize" the standard List component - it looks how it looks, and works how it works, and you either like it or use something else! This is pretty much the way of the high-level UI components in MIDP, which is very different to the RIM UI classes on BlackBerry devices.

Check the Java Docs for List, and see if you can get by with what it offers. If not, then you have three options.

1. You could try using a Form with a CustomItem, to mimmic a list. I'm not sure how satisfactory the results will be, but it is the simplest option.

2. Use a Canvas. This is the most complicated option. You can customize a Canvas all you like, but it has no existing functionality, so you have to customize it completely. You will have to handle all the key input, touch screen input, painting the items, scrolling and so on, all yourself.

3. Consider using an off-the-shelf Canvas-based UI library. Other people have gone down the route of option (2) above, and made libraries of the components they built. These are available under various different licensing options. A popular choice is LWUIT, and I think that, since you're looking for a more attractive UI than MIDP can offer, you should take a look at this.

There are other options like LWUIT - too many! Take a look at this wiki page for a summary.

Graham.

Re: custom list

Thanks Graham,

Will look into those options and decide from there. Have a nice day.

Regards

Brendan