Discussion Board

Start Developing in QT

Hello everyone,

I am new to QT platform and I want to develop some good thing in Qt. if any suggestion or any help. Please send me.

Thank You,
    a-E-ruka

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Start Developing in QT

hello a-E-ruka

at first you can get on the forum nokia wiki Qt section or the symbian foundation wiki and start with some sample tutorials there.

Ti point you start with this link http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...Qt_Quick_Start .

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by gaba88 View Post
    the symbian foundation wiki and start with some sample tutorials there.

Ti point you start with this link http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...Qt_Quick_Start.
    I think symbian foundation wiki is really wrong place to start, if this thread was in Qt for Maemo not just due to a mistake.
    For Maemo proper place to start would be http://maemo.org/development/

Regular Contributor

I suggest starting with the official Qt documentation at qt.nokia.com/doc. Many articles in the wiki here contain small mistakes. Also I suggest starting with desktop development rather than mobile development because it will shorten compile & run cycles. Also Qt was not initialy designed with mobile devices in mind, so it makes sense to first start with the desktop. You will better understand why some things are the way they are because of historic reasons.

I'm also new to Qt and I'm trying to get a better understanding of what's cross-platform (particularly mobile v desktop) and what isn't.

My initial understanding was that Qt was the same for all but there seems to be different tools to download depending on what platform you're looking at so I'm just not sure what I really need.

Let me outline what I want to do:

I want to create an app that sends and receives XML to/from an internet server, it would parse the XML returned from the server and draw a graphic on the screen based upon it's content. This process could be repeated up to 60 times per minute but only for a few minutes at a time.

I would like the same app to work on both my Linux KDE laptop and a Symbian mobile.

If somebody could advise me if this is possible and the correct tool(s) I need to download for developing for both KDE and Symbian I would be grateful.

Is it possible to set up Qt Creator so I can just select 'Compile for KDE' or 'Compile for Symbian' or is that wishful thinking?

Regular Contributor

Hi,
    The code can be compiled and reused for all of the three target plattforms. However, because Qt applications are native compiled applications, you will need cross compilers from your host to all your target plattforms. Currently, only Windows is supported as host system for symbian development. On windows, you can setup QtCreator to create both Symbian and Windows binaries. You might get some cross compiler from windows to linux but as a beginner, I suggest you download a ubuntu vm and not spend time on compiling compilers.

Then you can copy your code into the vm, run QtCreator in there and create a binary for linux: Remember that KDE is a desktop env that adds some addon-classes to Qt. You can use them but then you have to take care that these are correctly ifdef'ed out. However, a plain Qt app will work fine in a KDE environment.

Such tweaks like including some KDE classes as well as adopting the user interface to a small screen have to be done by you by conditional compile.

I suggest you start off using a Qt SDK either for windows and linux and develop your app. With this experience in mind, you go ahead and take a windows machine, install S60 SDK and Qt for S60 on Windows along QtCreator on Windows, open the project here, compile the application using the Qt for S60 as target. Then you install APP TRK on your mobile, connect it to your PC, setup creator to run the executable on the device.

I suggest skipping the emulator of Symbian.

Thanks Gargi Das (gaba88) for your reply..I apreciate it.

Thanks axeljaeger.

If I want to develop for QT(Symbian) and also for QT(Maemo), I have to get one common QT SDK or dedicated QT SDK for each means one for symbian and one for Maemo.

Thanks in advance.

Regular Contributor

Dedicated SDK for each target plattform.

Thanks axeljaeger.

i got them for each platform.