Discussion Board

Thumbs down how to merge one window/dialog box in another window

I want to merge a dialog box in existing running window.Actually in my application the application launches in new window and after exit it jumps to waiting window .I want start the my application from the existing window which is running previously.Something by getting winId() or by any other method
    Last edited by babulamiet; 2010-04-01 at 12:17.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: how to merge one window/dialog box in another window

So there are two applications, your own and application you start through QProcess? Is the question related to stackable windows in any way? Could you please give another try in describing the desired design?

I am launching my application in a window.And I am downloading some file that comes in a dialog box.Actually the dialog box is getting launched separately.Can I merge that dialog box into the window that I have started earlier.The windows is showing in background untill my dialog box( which was created for downloading purpose ) is closed.When dialog box is getting closed ,the background window starts again.QDialog is used in application for dialog box.My original window block on QDialog::exec untill the dialog box is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by babulamiet View Post
    I am launching my application in a window.And I am downloading some file that comes in a dialog box.Actually the dialog box is getting launched separately.Can I merge that dialog box into the window that I have started earlier.The windows is showing in background untill my dialog box( which was created for downloading purpose ) is closed.When dialog box is getting closed ,the background window starts again.QDialog is used in application for dialog box.My original window block on QDialog::exec untill the dialog box is closed.
    Yes, this is how QDialog and QDialog::exec work. So where is the problem? I have to confess that I don't really understand meaning of the phrase "merge a dialog into a window". Note, that dialog is also a special kind of window.

Thumbs down Re: how to merge one window/dialog box in another window

I want a single window . Otherwise while the dialog box is open i want my existing window shouldn't be visible.It is getting visible in background. Or while dialog box is open then I dont want to handle the event to minimize it and not even to show any background window.I am creating QDialog box by QDialog( NULL, "", true, Qt:ialog | Qt::WStyle_Customize | Qt::WStyle_NoBorder | Qt::WStyle_Title ).
    Is there any way to create it so that it can get the previous window handle.I tried with QDialog ( QWidget * parent = 0, Qt::WindowFlags f = 0 ) also
    Last edited by babulamiet; 2010-04-02 at 12:16. Reason: detail description

I want a single window.
    This is not possible in X Window System.

Otherwise while the dialog box is open i want my existing window shouldn't be visible. It is getting visible in background.
    This is really strange requirement, but something will be visible in background any way, even if you hide parent window.

Or while dialog box is open then I dont want to handle the event to minimize it and not even to show any background window.
    You cannot minimize neither dialog, nor normal window in Maemo 5. The only way to avoid showing background is to use fullscreen dialog.

I am creating QDialog box by QDialog( NULL, "", true, Qt:ialog | Qt::WStyle_Customize | Qt::WStyle_NoBorder | Qt::WStyle_Title ).
    There is no such constructor for QDialog.

Is there any way to create it so that it can get the previous window handle.I tried with QDialog ( QWidget * parent = 0, Qt::WindowFlags f = 0 ) also
    You can get window handle with QWidget::winId().

is it possible to pass window handle ie QWidget::winId() from one process to other process window.
    Last edited by babulamiet; 2010-04-05 at 10:17.

is it possible to pass window handle ie QWidget::winId() from one process to other process window.
    winId is window identifier on X11. you don't need to pass them as they can be obtained with XLib easily, for example,
    Code:
    xwininfo -tree -root
    will show you stack of all windows with their identifiers.
    Another example, this application is monitoring the topmost window:
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...tus_in_Maemo_5