Discussion Board

Publish applications as an independent developer

Hi,

I have developed an application which can work on Symbian S60, iPhone, Android and WinMob. I would like to publish it on the OVI Store but I'm facing an issue to be registered as a publisher.

- Can I register without a VAT/Tax Number and specify my social security number instead ? I'm from France (therefore European Union), but I don't have a company. I read somewhere on this forum that it's possible to use a social security number in the US, but I'm french, so I don't know if that applies. I also read that this number is used to identify uniquely a publisher, so it may work, no ?

- If it's not possible, can I create a company ("self employed", called "auto entrepreneur" in France), that will have my name, and register as a publisher with this company? The name of the company will be my name, and not something like "Microsoft" or "Nokia", but more like "John Doe".

- If that is possible, can I have my applications signed by another company (that is, the OVI account will be mine, associated with my name, but the Symbian Signed account will be another name)?

- Finally, is there a publisher validation ? If I try to create the account with my social security number, and pay the 50 euros, will I be able to publish applications (as long as they are approved), or may OVI refuse me as a publisher ? If they refuse me, will I be refunded my 50 euros ?

Thanks for the answers !

Jerome

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Publish applications as an independent developer

currently the rules are in a way that only companies are allowed to publish at Ovi store.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    currently the rules are in a way that only companies are allowed to publish at Ovi store.
    Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

Do you know if those rules are planned to be changed to allow more applications ? I find this really disappointing to limit developers this way.

Anyway, if I "self employ" myself, I will have a VAT/Tax number... will that allow be to be a publisher, or does OVI have a right to say who can be a publisher or not ? Is the validation only based on the application, or also on the publisher himself ?

Thanks,
    Jerome

Nokia Developer Moderator

I'm not aware of any publicly available information that would indicate any roadmaps on changing the current situation, thus I'm unable to say anything about it.

AFAIK, the individual-person-companies, such as Finnish Toiminimi, would be sufficient, since it also should allow you to obtain a publicer id.

Regular Contributor

As far as I know, OVI is not open to individual publishers yet. Only companies allowed. Sure, you could register with fake VAT number, but you risk to get your account disabled as soon as OVI team checks your company infos. Yet OVI cannot pay out to private bank accounts. At least not without a contract that covers that transactions.

If you're confident about the product you have, founding your own small company is fast and easy nowadays. Or you can just team up with other developers at OVI store.

Best regards

Dusan

PS: I see now you already got the answer. damn I'm too slow

Quote Originally Posted by powerpixels View Post
    Yet OVI cannot pay out to private bank accounts. At least not without a contract that covers that transactions.
    What do you mean by this ? If I create my company, as self employed, I will still have my private bank account... you say that OVI will not be able to transfer money to this account ?

Regular Contributor

I don't know how it's regulated in France and Finland, but some sort of mechanisms against money laundry and taxation avoidance must exist. So a company cannot transfer money to private account, unless person is not the company's employee or has a part time / freelance contract. Or anything that legally covers money transfers.
    The agreements you sign with OVI store when creating a publisher account, they're all company-to-company agreements. If self-employees with VAT numbers are treated as companies in France, I guess you could register as publisher at OVI.

Anyway, we can only guess here. You should contact publishtoovi.support@nokia.com and see what will they say.

Best regards

Dusan

Quote Originally Posted by powerpixels View Post
    I don't know how it's regulated in France and Finland, but some sort of mechanisms against money laundry and taxation avoidance must exist. So a company cannot transfer money to private account, unless person is not the company's employee or has a part time / freelance contract. Or anything that legally covers money transfers.
    The agreements you sign with OVI store when creating a publisher account, they're all company-to-company agreements. If self-employees with VAT numbers are treated as companies in France, I guess you could register as publisher at OVI.

Anyway, we can only guess here. You should contact publishtoovi.support@nokia.com and see what will they say.

Best regards

Dusan
    Thanks !

I will send a mail, to have an official answer.

Regards,
    Jerome