Discussion Board

Is anyone working on the Smart Installer ?

Hi, I would like to know if the Smart Installer is making any progress. Is there a page with a weekly update ?

I find the statement on the Qt for Symbian homepage (http://qt.nokia.com/products/platform/symbian) to be misleading. It says "Target over 130 million devices with Qt on Symbian". Based on this many people have put in a lot of effort over the last 6 to 9 months (I started in summer 2009 with the technologly preview) - only the statement isn't true. To target anything more than your own private device an installer such as the Smart Installer is the key and it must work with OVI. I can't believe that 9 months later, one still can't put Qt developed apps on OVI. The statement should read "Create apps for your own device" or "Maybe at some time in the future you will be able to target over 130 million devices with Qt on Symbian, with no guarantee that this will ever be possible."

If I am mistaken, and either there is a regular update information page, or maybe one can already put Qt apps on OVI (without everyone writing their own installers, that would be ridiculous), I would be pleased to learn more.

Thanks for any info
    N. Brown

Re: Is anyone working on the Smart Installer ?

Update: I have since found the following discussion thread which more or less answers my question: http://developer.symbian.org/forum/s...ead.php?t=5242. So it seems that there are people working on it, but there are still problems and one can follow the progress on that thread which seems to be regularly updated.
    NBrown.

Thank you N. Brown for a great summary of Qt for symbian and Qt installer status.

The thread you found is a development thread and still doesn't answer the questions about the release of the installer. It is indeed interesting how they will implement the installer but it is more important to know when it will be done and when will be possible to publish Qt applications on Ovi.

I am still waiting to get an answer for this question.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

It time for me to try out the smart installer.

I have tried the fluidlauncher_installer.sis and my own app which has applied the smart installer. Both app won't work and i get a 'installation failed' error.

For the question regarding to when it will be ready, it is mentioned in the following link:

http://qt.nokia.com/developer/nokia-...er-for-symbian

The release status mentions something as follows:
    As with any technology preview or Beta, the software contains early pre-release code that is not at the level of performance and compatibility of a final product offering. We are continuing to optimize the technology and improve the user experience with the anticipation of releasing version 1.0 in the first half 2010.
    Well, i guess we have to wait till first half 2010 then!!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi all

Yes, the work on the installer continues and there have been silent updates to the ADM component on the server so that those of you trying the package now will likely see improved network engine stability and dependency handling.

We are getting closer to a new milestone and hopefully we will be able to invite you all to a testing and feedback round soon.

Meanwhile you can also discuss on the Symbian Foundation forum about ways to make this solution better, in a 2.0 or later release.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite