Discussion Board

Lightbulb VoIP / SIP / Betamax on E52

I thought it may be a good idea to have a thread that gathers all information on how to achieve a good VoIP / SIP experience (specifically with Betamax) on the E52.
    (I guess everything applies to the E55 as well and many things apply to the wole E series and other SIP providers.)

I've spent many hours gathering all the information and maybe this thread can help others to reach their goal faster.

Things I've learnt:

SIP VoIP 3.x Setting
    You need to download and install SIP VoIP 3.x Settings. Yes, you can create a SIP profile without them, but this is useless if you can't create a VoIP service also.

VoIP over 3G
    Menu -> Control panel -> Net settings -> Advanced VoIP settings -> VoIP services -> Profile settings -> AWCDMA must be set to 'On'!
    If you just want to use WiFi, you can leave it off.

Caller ID
    Menu -> Control panel -> Net settings -> Advanced VoIP settings -> VoIP services -> Sip settings -> Edit -> Public user name
    or, equivalently
    Menu -> Control panel -> Settings -> Connection -> Sip settings -> Edit -> Public user name
    Instead of sip:yourusername@sip.yourprovider.com, enter sip:+358718008000@sip.yourprovider.com, where you use one of the numbers you registered with your betamax service instead of +358718008000. The + sign seems to be optional.
    People you call will now see your phone number when you call them!
    Important edit: For this to work, you need to verify your number from within the betamax windows application fist! Go to your profile, click on 'Verify now!' besides your number and follow the steps. This works both for landlines and mobile numbers.

Codecs
    Don't assume ideal conditions when comparing codecs! It doesn't matter how good a codec theoretically is, if it can't be transmitted without heavy distortions!
    ... -> Advanced VoIP settings -> VoIP services -> yourprofilename -> Codecs
    AMR-WB and AMR are not supported by Betamax.
    PCMU and PCMA are also known as G.711 A-Law and G.711 μ-Law. Those codecs are great for VoIP via ethernet. I wouldn't recommend them for mobile VoIP, especially not over 3G.
    I was surprised to find that iLBC works with Betamax, but unfortunately I didn't get very good results.
    G.729 is the codec I'd recommend, especially over 3G. Also, I have good experience with having AnnexB enabled.
    CN is the Comfort Noise codec. According to Nokia, this codec is typically included if PCMU, PCMA or iLBC is enabled, .

Miscellaneous
    - If you use an existing SIP profile to create a new one, don't forget to re-enter your password!
    - SIP profiles that are currently active can't be deleted.
    - VOIP services that are currently active can't be edited. Neither can the assiciated SIP profile.
    - If you want to delete a VoIP service, do it from
    ... -> Advanced VoIP settings -> VoIP services
    instead of from
    ... -> Advanced VoIP settings
    unless you want the associated SIP profile deleted as well.

Default destination
    ... -> Sip settings -> Edit -> Default destination
    Once you've chosen a Default destination you can't choose a single Default access point anymore. Default destination can't be set back to 'none'!
    If you've chosen a Default destination, go to
    ... Advanced VoIP settings -> Open yourvoipservice -> Service connectivity -> Network destinations
    or, equivalently
    Menu -> Control panel -> Settings -> Connection -> Destinations
    and check if (only) the access points you want are in your destination.
    This has been a frequent source of problems for me.

Recommended setup

Create Betamax account
    Go to your favourite Betamax VoIP service provider (yourprovider.com), download the application, register yourusername and your phone number(s), verify them and transfer those 10€ to your account, if you haven't done this yet.

Create SIP profile
    ... -> Sip settings
    Profile name: yourprofilename (choose freely)
    Service profile: IETF
    Default destination / Default access point: Make your choice. (see above)
    Public user name: sip:yourusername@sip.yourprovider.com or sip:+358718008000@sip.yourprovider.com (see above)
    Use compression: No
    Registration: Choose 'Always o'n to check if your SIP profile registers successfully. Once everything works, it's personal preference.
    Use security: No

... -> Sip settings -> Proxy server
    Proxy server address: sip:sip.yourprovider.com
    Realm: yourprovider.com
    User name: yourusername (don't replace with your telephone number!)
    Password: yourpassword
    Allow loose routing: Yes
    Transport type: UDP
    Port: 5060

... -> Sip settings -> Registrar server
    Registrar server address: sip:sip.yourprovider.com
    Realm: yourprovider.com
    User name: yourusername (don't replace with your telephone number!)
    Password: yourpassword

You SIP profile should now register successfully. Don't bother moving on until it does.

Create VoIP service
    ... -> Advanced VoIP settings -> Create new service -> Select: yourprofilename
    Don't activate it yet or you won't be able to make further settings.
    ... -> Advanced VoIP settings -> VoIP services -> yourprofilename -> Profile settings
    Leave everything as is, except switch AWCDMA to 'On', if you want to use your 3G network to make calls.
    Short answer: Remove everything except G729. Enable AnnexB. (see above)

Activate your new VOIP service and cross your fingers.

You can activate / deactivate (aka enable / disable) your VoIP service from the Wireless LAN app on your home screen, if your home screen is set to active and the app is activated. But I'd recommend against activating this way, as it only lets you activate over WLAN.
    A better way to do it is from your 'Contacts'. Choose your VOIP service from the tab and choose 'Activate service'.
    Deactivating the service works either way.
    You also get the option to enable a service if you try making a call while it's diabled.
    Remember that your VOIP service has to be disabled, if you wish to edit any settings.

Further reading
    SIP VoIP Release 3.x Settings Application User Guide v2.1
    Last edited by rjschenk; 2010-04-22 at 11:19.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: VoIP / SIP / Betamax on E52

These end user posts should be posted at http://www.nokia.com/discussions/ Forum Nokia is on device developer's support and has nothing to do with end user solutions.

Ron

This information its very good, but this setting doesn't work everywhere
    I use Betamax clones Voipraider (the cheapest dial plan for Russian landline) and Webcalldirect (the cheapest dial plan for Russian mobile) and try to set up my Nokia E71 with setting above - nothing aren't worked. The E71 registered on sip servers with both VOIP Providers but connection with VOIP Providers when I call subscriber doesn't establish. But when I used to set up E71 this setting Nokia internet telephone, Betamax SIP settings for NOKIA e series mobile phones (e51, e61, e71, e81, e91) than call and establish quality with subscriber very good, but subscriber doesn't see my CallierID on his mobile....

Lightbulb Re: VoIP / SIP / Betamax on E52

Quote Originally Posted by vadim.maklakov View Post
    This information its very good, but this setting doesn't work everywhere
    I use Betamax clones Voipraider (the cheapest dial plan for Russian landline) and Webcalldirect (the cheapest dial plan for Russian mobile) and try to set up my Nokia E71 with setting above - nothing aren't worked. The E71 registered on sip servers with both VOIP Providers but connection with VOIP Providers when I call subscriber doesn't establish. But when I used to set up E71 this setting Nokia internet telephone, Betamax SIP settings for NOKIA e series mobile phones (e51, e61, e71, e81, e91) than call and establish quality with subscriber very good, but subscriber doesn't see my CallierID on his mobile....
    How does your number show up on Voipraider / Webcalldirect? What was your exact setting for 'Public user name'?

Btw: Skipping the proxy setting or not doesn't make any difference to me. It works either way. Also, 'Realm' in registrar settings can be skipped.

Several VoIP services for one Betamax provider
    If you make both calls over 3G and WiFi with the same provider, I'd suggest you create two separate VoIP services with different codec settings. As every SIP profile can only be used with one VoIP service, you should first create a new SIP service. Choose 'Use existing profile' if you don't want to enter the same setting all over again. Don't forget to re-enter your password(s) though in any case!! Make sure the new SIP profile registers.
    Now create a new VoIP service. Do this from
    ... -> Advanced settings -> VoIP services -> Options -> New service
    instead of from
    ... -> Advanced settings -> Create new service
    if you want to use the settings from your existing VoIP service.
    Now go to
    Over WiFi, using the higher quality iLBC or even PCMA/PCMU instead of G729 should be no problem.
    Personally, I leave VAD switched off.

'Service is in use. Cannot edit settings.' / 'Unable to edit. Profile currently in use.'
    If your VoIP service is active, you can't edit your VoIP service or Sip profile settings. I've found that instead of deactivating your service from contacts or the Wireless LAN app (as explained above), it's often faster to just switch your phone to 'Offline' mode. After you switch back to your regular profile, the VoIP services activate automatically within less than a minute.

Question Re: VoIP / SIP / Betamax on E52

Everything you always wanted to know about G.729

Coding of speech at 8 kbit/s using conjugate-structure algebraic-code-excited linear prediction (CS-ACELP) (pdf)

Source: http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.729/en

I'm mainly posting this because of Annex B.
    See the chapter "Annex B – A silence compression scheme for G.729 optimized for terminals conforming to ITU-T Recommendation V.70" for details.
    Even more interesting are Appendixes II and III, which specifically discuss "Annex B enhancements in voice-over-IP applications".
    Does anyone know, if Nokia implements any of those Annex B modifications?

Rjschenk, thank you very much!
    Yesterday I wasn't accurately when I set up SIP setting for Webdcalldirect - I hadn't enough free time and very harried
    Now I am setting up accurately and all working very nice.......
    What is worst doing at all what is worst doing well (C)English sayng

Quote Originally Posted by rjschenk View Post
    How does your number show up on Voipraider / Webcalldirect? What was your exact setting for 'Public user name'?

Btw: Skipping the proxy setting or not doesn't make any difference to me. It works either way. Also, 'Realm' in registrar settings can be skipped.

Several VoIP services for one Betamax provider
    If you make both calls over 3G and WiFi with the same provider, I'd suggest you create two separate VoIP services with different codec settings. As every SIP profile can only be used with one VoIP service, you should first create a new SIP service. Choose 'Use existing profile' if you don't want to enter the same setting all over again. Don't forget to re-enter your password(s) though in any case!! Make sure the new SIP profile registers.
    Now create a new VoIP service. Do this from
    ... -> Advanced settings -> VoIP services -> Options -> New service
    instead of from
    ... -> Advanced settings -> Create new service
    if you want to use the settings from your existing VoIP service.
    Now go to
    Over WiFi, using the higher quality iLBC or even PCMA/PCMU instead of G729 should be no problem.
    Personally, I leave VAD switched off.

'Service is in use. Cannot edit settings.' / 'Unable to edit. Profile currently in use.'
    If your VoIP service is active, you can't edit your VoIP service or Sip profile settings. I've found that instead of deactivating your service from contacts or the Wireless LAN app (as explained above), it's often faster to just switch your phone to 'Offline' mode. After you switch back to your regular profile, the VoIP services activate automatically within less than a minute.

Lightbulb Re: VoIP / SIP / Betamax on E52

Betamax and DID (Direct Inward Dialing)
    Afaik, no Betamax service currently offers inbound phone numbers.
    My solution was to register a free phone number from another provider, then register and verify this number with my Betamax account. Given that both accounts are activated on my E52, people can now call this landline number to reach me through the new provider. Also, when making calls through Rynga I can use this new number as Caller ID, thus getting people used to it while at the same time taking advantage of Rynga's excellent rates.

I must say that I'm growing more fond of Nokia's VoIP support every day. Too bad so very few people know about the possibilities.

Edit: DID Service Providers
    Last edited by rjschenk; 2010-04-30 at 14:36.

Thumbs up Re: VoIP / SIP / Betamax on E52

rjschenk thanks alot, you released my voip problem with e52!
    I was so disappointed about no working voip function, now i can to stay in contact to my relatives!
    Thanks and thanks

Friends,

I have an e52 running on sottware version 034.001.
    I tried to install SIP Voip versions 3.x,3.1 etc on to my phone memory. But it says application not compatible.
    Even after ignoring the message and installing the voip client, i cant get the Voip Setting tab installed on 'Net setting' menu.

Whats wrong wit my phone??
    Thanks for your help !

Kurian

I've spent many hours gathering all the information and maybe this thread can help others to reach their goal faster.
    Thanks for effort, I really appreciate your hard work.

Menu -> Control panel -> Net settings -> Advanced VoIP settings -> VoIP services -> Profile settings -> AWCDMA must be set to 'On'!
    If you just want to use WiFi, you can leave it off.
    Is there a way to use Wi-Fi if avaiable? I mean something like "use 3G unless Wi-Fi is avaiable" option like Fring does.

What finally worked for me after many attempts:

Nonoh sip settings:

Service Profile ietf
    public user name: -----@nonoh.net
    Use compression - no
    Registration - when needed
    Proxy Server
    Proxy server address: sip.nonoh.net
    Realm: nonoh.net
    user name : just the part before @ sign
    password
    Allow loose routing : Yes
    Registrar Server
    the same as above

thanks rjschenk, tried the sip with vyke and worked great on E52.