Discussion Board

Opengles Game Engine Example 1.2 compile problem

Hello,

I cannot get the opengles game engine example to compile correctly or run on the emulator.
    Please can someone provide me with an updated version, or any other resource comparable?

Thank you,

Ben

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Opengles Game Engine Example 1.2 compile problem

How does it compile/run incorrectly? Some details would be handy.
    Check if you can build anything: HelloWorldBasic from the SDK, Carbide-generated "GUI application", etc.

Yes i can run some opengl-es examples like the floating duck/rain/shadows.

The game engine example v1.2 wont compile for 3rd MR, FP 1 or fp2 1.1.

I am now building my own engine, but i would like some performance pointers for opengles.

Moreover, i am a king of C++, but i am new to Symbian, so i need some pointers as how to get useful console output. _LIT does not seem to appear, or is showered by other commands.

Also can i draw over the EGLDisplay after the render cycle to show items like fps?

I guess i could make an opengl based font, but i would rather do it in 2d, and not an identity transformed quad on the screen.

thanks wizard,

Ben

PS: I am a master in m3g, directx and basic opengl. I have been into the mobile 3d from the days of Hybrid. I need a good base engine that compiles for symbian. I guess i can hack the example, but i would rather have a 3rd edition that works. The example states that it is made for s50 or s80 and that a 3rd edition exists but i cant find it.

Quote Originally Posted by nofxonline View Post
    The game engine example v1.2 wont compile for 3rd MR, FP 1 or fp2 1.1.
    Ok, but what happens instead? What error messages you get?
    some pointers as how to get useful console output. _LIT does not seem to appear, or is showered by other commands.
    _LIT(KHello,"Hello"); is just like writing const char *KHello="Hello"; in "normal" C++, so it is about declaring a string constant, with other words: a literal.
    If you want to get some output on the debug console, check RDebug class (not all SDK Help-s contain useful information about it, but epoc32\include\e32debug.h is always there).
    Also can i draw over the EGLDisplay after the render cycle to show items like fps?
    Theoretically yes, however getting 'back' the bitmap has significant performance penalty, you should rather 'render' that part too. You can find some documents in Tools, Docs & Code above, Documentation, Symbian C++, Graphics (or Games). Probably the same location where you got the game example too.

Cool Re: Opengles Game Engine Example 1.2 compile problem

Hi wizard_hu,

1. I get compile errors due to TDllreason, but fixed it to be the new eikStart type. Game will compile now, but no running output. Will not deploy to sis, as the platform GCCE is not included. Multiple things. Anyway im using the FloatingDuck example now, which does work well that came with the n97 sdk. Still i think the game engine example is more useful when trying to render a scene graph, but i can use it as a reference. At least now i have a reliable basis that will compile, debug and allow deployment to device.

2. Yeah i read about Descriptors and the _LIT function. I thought it was like a debug function due to the fact that is was the only capitalized convention.

3. I used something that renders on the window after the opengl cycle but it may be blocking till it can get synchronized with the UI. Maybe you know more. It works but i just wanted some debug on screen for testing on device performance. Seems to compile and work ok.

CWindowGc& gc = instance->SystemGc();
    gc.Activate( *instance->DrawableWindow() );
    GLfloat end = User::NTickCount();
    TBuf<20> numberValue;
    numberValue.AppendNum(1000.f /(end-start));
    utilOutputText(gc, numberValue, TPoint(71, 106), KRgbBlack );
    gc.Deactivate();

Oh, now I see. That example does not support S60 3rd/5th editions, it would require porting, which is actually a complex task
    You may want to check the "S60 Platform: 3D Game Engine Example with Sensor Support" example, which is the same "game" (it is not that funny as I remember), it was the "separate example available for S60 3rd edition", just evolved to support sensors too.

Actually you can find porting guides in "You Are Here: Home > Tools, Docs & Code > Documentation > Symbian C++ > Compatibility", but it is probably easier to build the new one.