Discussion Board

Interfacing Mobile FM Radio with Desktop/Web App.

I wanted to ask if there are any API's to access&manipulate the FM Radio functionality of a typical Nokia mobile device. I wanted to build a desktop app. that streams the radio's audio from any connected device (supporting radio), and was wondering if there was an interface to do so - kinda like how you can access the Messaging and Contacts apps. ,of a nokia phone, from PC Suite.

Thanks for replies in advance.
    - David

Super Contributor

Re: Interfacing Mobile FM Radio with Desktop/Web App.

Hi there, SoulBlade

You asked if there is an API to access & manipulate FM radio on a Nokia mobile and this from a desktop app, streaming the radios audio?

Could you please tell me what development language and environment you would be using when developing this application? (pc app)
    Are you perhaps using QT?

Best Regards,
    Marko
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][I]Marko Lumivuori
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330
    [email]marko.lumivuori@nokia.com[/email][/I][/FONT]

Re: Interfacing Mobile FM Radio with Desktop/Web App.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveric View Post
    Hi there, SoulBlade

You asked if there is an API to access & manipulate FM radio on a Nokia mobile and this from a desktop app, streaming the radios audio?

Could you please tell me what development language and environment you would be using when developing this application? (pc app)
    Are you perhaps using QT?

Best Regards,
    Marko
    Hmm.. that post was quite long ago Marko... I was told that the FM Radio functionality was closed (i.e. no open API's for developers to use).
    With regards the development language. Personally i use Actionscript (e.g. FlashLite) and Python on a daily basis - so i would preferably like to use either or both of those two (e.g. using the Flyer Framework, or something similar, also S60 Platform Services Actionscript API, or worst case A.S. API Bridge) but, like i said - there's no API support for them. QT would be the most likely choice. I know J2ME has a few API methods that allow some control over FM Radio; but not the way i want it.
    So, in the end.. QT is the likely choice. Though, i haven't been keeping in touch with the whole QT-followings lately, so .. i dunno , there might be support in some of the new QT mobility API's or something.

(for mobile) Summary is: Best to use QT. but i've dropped the idea for a while now, might pick it up later (as is with interesting ideas like the one painted). The PC side would be an Adobe AIR app (could be python based too).

Hope that helps abit..

Best Regards,
    David.
    +234-0803-3822-422
    david.o@ieee.org
    Last edited by SoulBlade; 2010-12-04 at 23:57. Reason: boredom
    - David