Discussion Board

Thread: Qt Vs. J2ME

Regular Contributor

Exclamation Qt Vs. J2ME

Hi,

Yesterday, I attended in a workshop which had held by Nokia in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
    They introduced Qt as an professional tool to build applications.

Without prejudice, I think Qt is well developed and is so professional for designing applications based on C++.
    This seminar brought some questions in my mind.

They showed Nokia E900 as an amazing mobile phone under Maemo OS which doesn't support Java!
    Does Nokia plan(policy) to remove Java from its new devices and terminate use of this technology in its mobile phones?

Qt has so disadvantage in compare with Java (in my opinion).
    In J2ME when you want to make a new application, you download Netbeans (for example) and write a program. just this!
    While when you want to make a new application based on symbian you should install several things:
    1)Qt SDK: Complete Development Environment
    2)Qt libraries 4.6.2 for Symbian
    3)Qt mobility beta

another disadvantage about Qt is symbian library that you should tell to your customers install it first before they install your application. this is not easy. they told me another way is to bind the library to your application. when she showed me a sample, I saw the application size was 6K and after binding it increased to 12M!!!

I can't understand why Nokia is promoting this!!!

Is there any advantage in terms of application speed, memory usage and etc. with Qt?
    do you think Qt is easy to build and deploy application?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Qt Vs. J2ME

about Nokia's plans regarding Java on devices you should be able to find a couple of discussions going on by using the Search functionality...
    An advantage of Qt is simply the idea that Java should have been : write once and deploy everywhere...
    Actually this isn't the case for both, but Qt makes it possible to deploy on several platforms, mobile and desktop, if im not mistaken it can also be used to create widgets... J2ME unfortunately is not wrtie once deploy everywhere at all :P

Also in general C++ code still is faster, less memory-hungry and you obviously have more control through allocation adn deallocation of memory, whilst in J2ME you still have to trust your Garbage Collector, which may, or may not, do its work properly...

Regular Contributor

Question Re: Qt Vs. J2ME

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger79 View Post
    about Nokia's plans regarding Java on devices you should be able to find a couple of discussions going on by using the Search functionality...
    An advantage of Qt is simply the idea that Java should have been : write once and deploy everywhere...
    Actually this isn't the case for both, but Qt makes it possible to deploy on several platforms, mobile and desktop, if im not mistaken it can also be used to create widgets... J2ME unfortunately is not wrtie once deploy everywhere at all :P

Also in general C++ code still is faster, less memory-hungry and you obviously have more control through allocation adn deallocation of memory, whilst in J2ME you still have to trust your Garbage Collector, which may, or may not, do its work properly...
    Thanks dear Tiger79,

Is there any book(s) dedicated to "Qt for Symbian", which learn all things such as Symbian programming with Qt?

Nokia Developer Champion

No idea regarding books, but on the Wiki there are several "starting with" documents/tutorials...
    I'd advise you to give a look, you might find some articles pretty interesting...

Nokia Developer Champion

Try this link for some ebooks on Qt_for_Symbian:

http://www.ebookcomputer.com/Qt_for_...-ebook---.html

thanks,
    ~Amitabh