Discussion Board

Thread: Getting started

Getting started

Erm hi,

I'm new to programming in symbian. I tried finding out as much as i could, i followed every step on the library still i'm facing many problems. I have been partially able to eliminate some of them by searching the forum still i wasn't able to find enough data. I've tried creating the Hello World aplication, still errors keep occuring. I'm using Carbide.c++ Version 2.3.0, s60 5th edition SDK v1.02, Active Perl 5.10.1 Build 1007( yes i know perl in newer version causes problems, still i've followed the steps here and i guess it works fine now), Java Runtime 6 update 19, CSL Arm Toolchain. My problems is that once i build the HelloWorld project and try to run it, the emulator does not start. Can it be caused by java? Since i've read that each of the components has to be installed on the same disk, i reinstalled, or at least tried reinstalling java to another drive. However the installation does not end, it just hangs up. When I'm building the program I'm getting following warnings:

Description Resource Path Location Type
    #warning "Please see comment about help and UID3..." HelloWorldAppUi.cpp /HelloWorld/src line 191 C/C++ Problem
    files uc_cwhelp.obj (EEXE.LIB), startup.win32.c.obj (msl_all_static_mse_symbian_d.lib), HelloWorld Unknown C/C++ Problem
    keeping definition in startup.win32.c.obj HelloWorld Unknown C/C++ Problem
    Multiply defined symbol: ___get_MSL_init_count in HelloWorld Unknown C/C++ Problem
    Multiply defined symbol: __CleanUpMSL in HelloWorld Unknown C/C++ Problem
    preprocessor #warning directive HelloWorldAppUi.cpp /HelloWorld/src line 191 C/C++ Problem

Thanks for help

Regular Contributor

Re: Getting started

Hey!

As far as I know, those are only warnings, not errors.

BR,
    gr3go

Great, still i can't start my program? That's my issue, and i don't know what can i fix to make the emulator work.

Thanks for help

Nokia Developer Moderator

Check if you can start the emulator separately, it has a shortcut somewhere in Start Menu/All Programs/S60 Developer Tools/ ... (or something similar).
    If the emulator dies instead of starting, you should check its logfile: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Epocwind.out
    Java does not matter for starting the emulator, though it is required if you want to modify its properties.

"For the file to be created, "Enable EPOCWIND.OUT logging" must be enabled under the C++ Debug tab of the preferences dialog of the emulator window"
    How can i change the options of a program i can't launch? Tried from menu start, doesn't work either.

Nokia Developer Moderator

If you follow the related link to "How to troubleshoot Platform Security issues", it describes the alternative way: locate epoc.ini in epoc32\data, and check if it contains the line "LogToFile 1". If it contains LogToFile, just it is 0, modify it to 1. If it contains no such line at all, add to the end of the file.