Discussion Board

Question When did call recording become a feature on Nokia mobile phones?

Hi,

I'm curious about when the call recording feature was introduced to Nokia mobile phones. I've searched the forums, the net and Nokias site but haven't had much luck.

Does anybody know which year or better yet which model and which year when the call recording feature was introduced?

As I said. I've searched the net and the forums but haven't had any luck.

Thanks in advance

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: When did call recording become a feature on Nokia mobile phones?

AFAIK no Nokia phone has such feature built-in. However, Nokia's Symbian powered smartphones are open platforms and 3rd party call recorder apps were always* available for them, as a after sell option.

You may want to ask this on and end-user discussion board, such as http://www.nokia.com/discussions, and see what these users know about the subject.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    AFAIK no Nokia phone has such feature built-in. However, Nokia's Symbian powered smartphones are open platforms and 3rd party call recorder apps were always* available for them, as a after sell option.
    I got a nokia 6300 here. An S40 Phone, it has a built-in (non third party) call recording feature. I also got a Nokia 6600i, this one i an S60 phone. It has also a call recording feature, non third party as well.

I'm aware of the availability of third party applications. I'm mostly eager to know when it became a integrated feature on Nokia phones.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    You may want to ask this on and end-user discussion board, such as http://www.nokia.com/discussions, and see what these users know about the subject.
    I'll try there too, thanks. If anyone else knows anything that could help me answering my question, please let me know.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Nokia 6600i is a Series 40 phone as well.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Champion

As far as I can remember, recording voice calls has been a standard feature of Nokia's S60/Symbian based phones since the original 7650 (Series 60 v0.9) from 2002; part of the built-in voice recorder application.

The complaint most people have had with it, is that when it is recording a call, it is also (for legal reasons in some countries, but in practice in every country) emitting a beep that also the party being recorded can hear. There have been some 3rd party call recorder applications, which have managed to omit the beep (at least on some models, some version of S60).