Discussion Board

versign vs s40 5th

Hi,

I have just purchased the following certificate:
    VeriSign Class 3 Code Signing 2009-2 CA

However I'm unable to install any midlet signed with it on s40 5th devices. (I have found threads here discussing this problem, and also added the Verisign Intermediate certificate, which I have found on Nokia wiki site)
    The signed apps work well on s40 3rd edition and s60 devices as well.

Test devices:
    Nokia 5310 XpressMusic v03.60
    Nokia 6500c v04.80

Both devices have built-in code signing certificate from VeriSign, so the issue is very strange.

Thanks for the reply in advance,
    Best Regards,
    Ferenc

Super Contributor

Re: versign vs s40 5th

Hello aquajava,

You have provided a lot of valuable information, good.
    Could you please also tell if it is "Authorization Failed" you get during the install attempt...or?

Maybe worth checking:

Errors occured in signed midlet:
    Invalid Application : This might happen due to MIDlet-Permissions attribute. Check all the attributes are there for which permission is required. Mostly comes in S40 handsets of the application is signed.

Root certificate missing from phone: The Java Verified certificate and/or Verisign certificates are missing from some phones check under Tools->Settings->Certificate Management for the relevant certificate

Authorization Failed: There are a whole host of possible reasons behind this here are the ones I’ve come across
    1.Certificate missing from phone, double check your certificate is installed and has been marked as trusted for application installs in Certificate Management
    2.Reboot: Uninstall the application completely then reboot your phone try taking the battery and SIM out too, often things get themselves in a twist, especially if you’ve been re-installing a lot without uninstalling first
    3.JAD/JAR mismatch: Double check the application size in the JAD, remember it’s the number of bytes that is important NOT the size on disk
    4.Browser cache: If you’re installing over the air make sure you clear your browser cache before installing
    5.I’ve heard but not verified that line breaks in the MIDlet-Permissions can cause problems but it seems ok to me on Nokia 6680/6630/6230i (could be firmware dependent?)
    6.The MIDlet-Permissions attribute is the cause of a lot of problems (especially since the documentation is often wrong/missing or different depending on the phone), try leaving it out first and add permissions in one at a time. Some phones will complain about permissions they don’t support, some will ignore them

Authentication Failure : This may occur in the signed build due to date conflict of handset with that of the signed certificate apart from the other reasons mentioned in above in authorization failed section. Please make sure your handset date time is correct.
    Best Regards,
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][I]Marko Lumivuori
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330
    [email]marko.lumivuori@nokia.com[/email][/I][/FONT]

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
    The failure occurs when installing the app over the air from JAD file. So the installation fails before it starts.

Currently I'm updating firmware to 10.10 (XPressMusic)
    Maybe it solves the problem.

Best Regards,
    Ferenc

Hi,

Just finished the installation:
    Now the phone accepts the certificate and installs the application.

Thanks for the support!

Best Regards,
    Ferenc
    Last edited by aquajava; 2010-04-13 at 12:32.

Maveric,

Great list!

I have the same issue (Authorisation failed) in a signed midlet. Installation works with N95, but not with 6220 or N86. My certificate is a VeriSign Java Object Signing (Class 3). In my certificate list in N95, there is:

• VeriSign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority
    • VeriSign G2 Class 3
    • VeriSign G3 Class 3

How do I know which one is the root certificate of my certificate?

In N95, this issue is not a problem (!?). Even though the ProximityListener support is not in the device, an entry in the MIDlet-Permissions list for ProximityListener still doesn't break the installation. Has that changed in later S60 editions?

Thanks in advance.

The intermediate changed, do not use the one from Forum Nokia. Does this help or that help?
    Last edited by traud; 2011-09-06 at 15:19.

Quote Originally Posted by traud View Post
    The intermediate changed, do not use the one from Forum Nokia. Does this help or that help?
    Hm. What does that really mean?

• Does it mean that I have to have different versions for phones with the "older" intermediate and another version for the newer devices?
    • Can I download the new certificate, re-sign my MIDlet with the new intermediate cert and then deploy on all phones (old and new) without problems?
    • Or, do I have to instruct users of newer devices to first download the new intermediate CA, and then have them download the MIDlet once the intermediate is installed?

Update: I've done some testing with Remote Device Access and X6-00, 6110 Navigator works, but not 6220 classic, N85, N86 and N96. In N85 (RDA) and N95 (device), the VeriSign certificates look exactly the same; I've checked the fingerprints for both MD5 and SHA1, the serial numbers and the validity and they are all the same. The only difference I can see is that the N85 includes the details of the public key (2048-bits) in the list.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by gullet; 2010-04-13 at 14:43. Reason: Remote Device Access testing

Hi,

As I see other posts on this forum, it seems, that we need a Thawte certificate as well.
    Do mobiles accept a keystore with both certificates? (So then it will work with older firmwares as well)

Best Regards,
    Ferenc

Nokia Developer Champion

Yes, you can sign your application with mutiple certificate and if even one of the matching root certificate is found on the device it will work.

thanks,
    ~Amitabh

Ferenc, does this help? All you have to do is to send exactly the same certification request to Thawte, too. Or go for Java Verified …
    Quote Originally Posted by gullet View Post
    Does it mean that I have to have different versions for phones with the "older" intermediate and another version for the newer devices?
    Normally today phones do not ship with an intermediate, except the user installed one. Furthermore, VeriSign does not issue those anymore.

First of all, your users should update their firmware to the latest version. I am really curious if there is a device out there with issue, today. Then, if you just rely on VeriSign, your user would have to install the intermediate of your personal certificate, manually. The one which belongs to your certificate chain. However, in that case, it is easier to offer a Thawte variant of your MIDlet, I think. Finally, this was a Series 40 issue. You are referring to S60. Therefore, I highly recommend to go through my list of issues …
    Last edited by traud; 2011-09-06 at 15:20.