Discussion Board

regarding cell id

hi,
    i want to find out the location of cell using j2me but i found the my cellid which is 41402 what does it tells?? i am not getting this.....by getting cellid is there any way to find location of cell or location of tower which cell is using???or any other way to find location of cell.......
    please help..

Super Contributor

Re: regarding cell id

The cell ID is just an identifier assigned to the base station (cell) by the network operator (carrier, service provider) whose network the phone is connected to. They may encode information in the ID, or it may just be an identifying number.

Only the operator knows for sure where all their base stations reside physically (their coordinates).

So, in order to know the geographical location based on the cell ID, you must have a lookup table where the location is documented. Operators do not publish the location of their cells (and as the network evolves, they also may move base stations, add new ones, dismantle existing, modify the numbering scheme, etc., at their discretion).

For some sort of a community effort to record the location of cell IDs for operators (there are more than a thousand network operators in the world, so it is a big effort, if you're after complete and accurate data) is, e.g., http://www.opencellid.net/

For more discussions regarding this topic, please familiarize yourself with this site's search feature: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/search.php

is in india, finding location of mobile will work ...if yes then by which method we can find...
    and what is cbs ,is it possible to find location using this

Super Contributor

CBS = cell broadcast services; the operator can send messages (SMS) to all users connected to a specific cell/basestation or a group of them. Contact the operator's whose networks you're interested in, to learn how a service provider/application developer might make use of this feature.

You can also ask if the local operators support network based LBS (location based services), as just getting the cell ID alone is not very useful for that.