Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Estimation of how how many devices which support M3G

I am trying to find out how many devices that support M3G. A search in the device compatibility matrix gave these results:

Devices that have M3G:
    Search criteria: java API must be: JSR 184 Mobile 3D Graphics API for J2ME™;
    Results:95

Devices that have Java:
    Search criteria: java API must be defined; type must be: Mobile Device
    Result:284

This would indicate that 95/284=33% of all Java enabled Nokia devices have M3G. Would that be an accurate estimate?

Would this estimation be accurate for other brands also, or do less of these support M3G?

Super Contributor

Re: Estimation of how how many devices which support M3G

As the device list here on Forum Nokia represents more or less all the Nokia devices that developers can target, and which have been released in the last 10 years or so, it is accurate as far as Nokia is concerned.

Do note, of course, that the individual device volumes vary a lot, and many of the models are no longer on the market (for sale). It means that the estimate is not necessarily very accurate as far as current devices go (for that, you shuld exclude some of the older versions of S40, S60 - models based on those - from your calculations).

How the numbers compare to other manufacturers I don't know. Any assumptions you make based on Nokia device may be close or far from the industry in general, or any other manufacturer.

Note also that even if the API is there, it may not be wise to use it (very few devices have graphics acceleration hardware).

Regular Contributor

I see, do you think that more devices support OpenGL ES than M3G? We are choosing between OpenGL ES and M3G for our next product.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    As the device list here on Forum Nokia represents more or less all the Nokia devices that developers can target, and which have been released in the last 10 years or so, it is accurate as far as Nokia is concerned.

Do note, of course, that the individual device volumes vary a lot, and many of the models are no longer on the market (for sale). It means that the estimate is not necessarily very accurate as far as current devices go (for that, you shuld exclude some of the older versions of S40, S60 - models based on those - from your calculations).

How the numbers compare to other manufacturers I don't know. Any assumptions you make based on Nokia device may be close or far from the industry in general, or any other manufacturer.

Note also that even if the API is there, it may not be wise to use it (very few devices have graphics acceleration hardware).

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by MobileVisuals View Post
    I see, do you think that more devices support OpenGL ES than M3G? We are choosing between OpenGL ES and M3G for our next product.
    That discussion is probably best continued in your other thread:

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=198297

Regular Contributor

We decided to use M3G for our product. We are going to submit it to OVI next week, so we need to make a compatibility list. A search on http://www.forum.nokia.com/expert-search/?view=ds gives the result that 95 devices have M3G.

OVI has the S40 2nd Edition , S40 3rd Edition, S40 5th Edition, S40 6th Edition, S60 1st Edition, S60 2nd Edition, S60 3rd Edition, S60 5th Edition and Symbian^3 devices.

It seems like all of the S40 2nd Edition , S40 3rd Edition, S40 5th Edition, S40 6th Edition, S60 3rd Edition, S60 5th Edition and the Symbian^3 devices devices support M3G.

It seems like all of the S60 1st Edition and the S60 2nd Edition devices do not support support M3G. Is this correct?

Super Contributor

Hi,
    AFAIK, S60v1 and V2 arent even allowed into Ovi.

But onto something else: you paid the 50 USD entry fee. Why not let QA do the work for you rather than waste your time here?
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Regular Contributor

OK, I will ask them about this. Do you mean that I should ask the OVI support at

https://publish.ovi.com/help/feedback

or do you mean some other QA team? I see on the compatibility list for my other products at OVI that S60 1st Edition and the S60 2nd Edition devices are allowed on OVI, because I can choose them here. There are however only one S60 1st Edition device on OVI's list. Do you really mean that S60 1st Edition and the S60 2nd Edition devices are not allowed on OVI or do you mean that some of these devices are not allowed?

Super Contributor

Hi,
    I have to admit that I have also wondered about this - AFAIK, I have thought that its FP1 and onwards only.

Just send an email to their PublishToOvi-Support...
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog