Discussion Board

Publish to OVI using stripped down Qt static bin, Smart Installer release date?

Hi all,
    since it seems like Ovi Store does not accept Qt apps bundled with the Qt smart installer until it goes out of beta and we still don't know
    when it will happen ( the website says first half of 2010 but as we all know deadlines can slip ), I was wondering if it would be possible to do the following:

- assume the app uses only QtCore and QtGui
    - compile the above Qt libs as static libs and leave out the classes with are not needed (by undef'ing them).
    - link the static binary with the stripped down Qt libs
    - submit it to OVI Store

now the questions are:

would the Ovi Store policies allow this assuming the size of the static binary is within the limits ?
    any idea how big such a binary could become ?
    What's the current upper limit in MByte an app on Ovi Store can have ?

I am well aware that the ideal way to publish a Qt app is to use the smart installer but if Nokia does not release it soon, developers will be
    disappointed since many invested much time to create cool new apps which they cannot release due to Nokia's Ovi Store policies which currently
    forbid using the beta version of the Qt smart installer, even though it works quite well on the devices I tested it on.

This is why we are considering to go the static binary route for now but of course if the size gets too big then we cannot go that route.

Nokia should take the speedy release of the stable Qt smart installer very seriously as I'm sure there are MANY developers which have written lots of new
    apps in Qt and which users would like to use and which would greatly enhance the value and usability of Nokia phones.
    Many developers simply refuse to use the old Symbian API because of it's complexity and non-portability. So the only viable way is to use Qt, just like for me.

But why do developers need to wait such a long time with no news on behalf of Nokia ?

With each day passing with Nokia not allowing Qt apps on Ovi Store, the image of symbian phones will deteriorate for both end users and developers
    and the iphones and android phones and other platforms will continue to slowly eat up Nokia's market share. I don't think Nokia wants this.

So please release the Qt smart installer very soon and let a flood of new, high quality Qt apps into the Ovi Store and let the Symbian platform thrive again!

Alternatively, has the Nokia Qt smart installer source code fully been released ?
    If yes, would it be acceptable under Ovi Store policies to embed my own smart installer code in my app and download the Qt libs (QtCore, QtGui etc) directly from my server
    when the user installs my app ?

Thanks for any informations and new on the matter,
    best regards,
    Mark

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Publish to OVI using stripped down Qt static bin, Smart Installer release date?

Quote Originally Posted by marksmithdev View Post
    Hi all,
    since it seems like Ovi Store does not accept Qt apps bundled with the Qt smart installer until it goes out of beta and we still don't know
    when it will happen ( the website says first half of 2010 but as we all know deadlines can slip ), I was wondering if it would be possible to do the following:

Thanks for any informations and new on the matter,
    best regards,
    Mark
    I can tell you that we are working on it and should have some concrete news soon. If you send me a personal e-mail I will forward it to the senior engineer for this project's direct attention.

Ron

Regular Contributor

Re: Publish to OVI using stripped down Qt static bin, Smart Installer release date?

Is there already some news regarding Qt and Ovi store publishing? I have to decide whether to use again Symbian C++ (which is quite cumbersome) or Qt.