Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

WRT on Samsung devices

Hi all,

does anybody know whether the web runtime is working of Samsung devices Symbian-based?

And what about Sony Ericsson devices?

Thanks in advance.

Re: WRT on Samsung devices

I'm also waiting for the answer..can anybody help on this

Super Contributor

Ask on Samsung's dev forums: http://innovator.samsungmobile.com/

Post Re: WRT on Samsung devices

Quote Originally Posted by beltry View Post
    does anybody know whether the web runtime is working of Samsung devices Symbian-based?

And what about Sony Ericsson devices?
    Would you please clarify your question, I cannot understand it very well.

As suggested you could go to the Samsung and SonyEricsson sites and ask there, but they might not know about Nokia devices, so if you clarify your question further, someone here may be able to answer, or take a guess.

Samsung's Mobile Widget Development Kit is freely downloadable from their Innovator site and you can read about their kit. Basically it seems their file organization inside the package (.wgt) is a bit different than Nokia's. Obviously you cannot expect any of the platform integration & services of Nokia to work on the Samsung or SE phones, but Samsung enables access to their TouchWiz Mobile Widget API in their widgets.

Samsung's widgets are also based on WebKit and support HTML, JavaScript and CSS, AJAX. They also support BONDI which is a set of "JavaScript APIs that grant a Web developer access to device-based capabilities, coupled with a security model that prevents misbehaving applications from damaging or misappropriating core functionality."

Does that answer any part of your question?
    --Himanshu
    Nokia N8-00 (Symbian Belle, NAM RM-596)
    Nokia 5800 XpressMusic (S60 5th Ed., NAM RM-428, v51.2.007)
    S/w: ADT v1.4 + S60 5.0 SDK on Win7 x64

Regular Contributor

I think all of the s60 symbian devices, regardless of manufacturer, support WRT in the same way.

Arrow Re: WRT on Samsung devices

Quote Originally Posted by hp3 View Post
    I think all of the s60 symbian devices, regardless of manufacturer, support WRT in the same way.
    hp3,

To be picky, not all platforms support "WRT" per se. However, they may have their own version of "WRT" that is also based on WebKit/CSS/HTML/AJAX. They may give it their own name, and may extend it differently for platform specific functionality but they have a version of WRT on their systems. Would you agree with that?
    --Himanshu

Regular Contributor

Can you give an example of how a s60 phone from a non Nokia manufacturer does not support WRT?

The Samnsung TouchWiz is a Samnsung specific widget platform, however as I recall their documentation mentions that they also support WRT on s60.

My understanding is that WRT is not a Nokia specific technology, it is a Symbian s60 technology and that all s60 licensees are using the same system.

Regular Contributor

According to the Symbian developer site Samnsung devices running Samsung S60 3rd Edition FP1 support WRT 1.0.

http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...29_Quick_Start

The final word would be with Samnsung of course.

Quote Originally Posted by hp3 View Post
    According to the Symbian developer site Samnsung devices running Samsung S60 3rd Edition FP1 support WRT 1.0.
    Ah! You're assuming the question was only about Samsung phones that were Symbian based, which I was not. That's why my first question to the OP was for clarification. If that is indeed the case then yes, there may be support for WRT as you say.
    --Himanshu

Regular Contributor

It is not clear from the Sony Ericsson site about support for WRT. They have a ported version of phonegap for cross Symbian/Android support. My understanding is that Phonegap runs on top of WRT for its symbian implementation, so it may be that the SE Satio also supports WRT, but someone would need to verify.