Discussion Board

Question package flash lite using j2me for s40 devices

is it possible to package flash lite by using j2me for s40 devices. Both Jarpa and SWFxME packaging are only for s60 devices.. right? i need 2 package flash for s40 devices. I know about NFL packaging. Bt i need a j2me solution. ny help..?

Thanks..

shamz

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: package flash lite using j2me for s40 devices

is it possible to package flash lite by using j2me for s40 devices. Both Jarpa and SWFxME packaging are only for s60 devices.. right?
    Not right. If u take a look at Jarpa project page , than u will find out that it is tested and found working with few S40 phones :
    Jarpa wiki
    The basic difference between Jarpa & SWFxMe is this, that Jarpa based on XML Socket Server which only supports Flash Lite 2.1 and onwards version whereas SWFxME is based on Local Http Server and supports Flash Lite 1.1. Therefore,if one Jarpa is working with a phone than SWFxME will also have to work with the same phone. The main reason behind not mentioning S40 phones with SWFxME is the non-availability of S40 phones on my side .However, u can test it urself, it have to work with a phone which have following properties :
    1. Flash Lite 1.1 or higher
    2. MIDP 2.0
    3. JSR-75
    4. platformRequest doesnt have any limitation to launch SWF files.
    5. HTTP server can bind to the provided local port.
    Now, u have to first observe that whether ur phone allow u to write files to any part of ur local drives.Secondly, u have to test that whether platformRequest successfully launching a swf placed in that part. Thats it , if it is possible in ur phone than i think u r ready to use any of these two tools .Wish u luck

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

thank u 4 ur reply..

In my s40 phone,
    platformRequest have limitations to launch the swf file. platformRequest is not launching the swf file successfully,
    then there is ny way to launch the swf file..?
    or is it not possible to launch swf file in a platform restricted phone..?

ny help..?

I think Jarpa is tested successfully in few s40 5th edition and s40 3rd edition phones. My targeting device is s40 6th edition.I tested my application successfully n s60 phones by using both Jarpa and SWFxME. I need 2 know about the platform restricted s40 devices also(i mean.. (1):is it possible to launch the swf file or not? (2):is it possible to change the platform restriction or not?).

thanks..

shamz
    Last edited by shamshi; 2010-04-18 at 14:58.

Nokia Developer Champion

I am not a very much S40 guy . But i think there should be two more things that one can try :
    1- Check out whether platformRequest failed to launch the swf files from any of the directory or may be it is limited to few paths like root of any drive etc
    2- If your phone supports JSR 211 Content Handler API than it can be an alternative to platformRequest .

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft