Discussion Board

Seeking consultant for Nokia/JavaME app development investigation

Hi,

First post here; I've read the stickies but my questions are both more specific than the stickies relate to and specialized in goal.

Background: I have formed a company to serve a specific mobile market - NOT games. I am in the process of developing iPhone and Blackberry apps, and am investigating how to serve the Nokia/larger market

I am looking for an experienced JavaME developer with familiarity on the Nokia family.

Specifically I would like to understand:

1) What would the cost/development time estimate be for a JaveME app based on an existing implemented specification and application server. Consider the app to be fairly rudimentary - existing iPhone and Blackberry versions are vanilla SDK based.

2) What is the set of Nokia devices that could support my app functionality (specifically GPS capability + internet) - this to go along with my go/no go development decision

2a) Plus: if additional support beyond Nokia family is known

3) Future roadmap concerns: how does JavaME fit in both with other Java mobile options and with the Nokia future roadmap

NDA would need to be signed for significant details beyond this.

Plus for install base info - I know the top 20 install base hardware platforms from Nielsen research already, but Nokia is both very prevalent in a total market share sense but highly fragmented from a specific hardware line sense which makes justification for JavaME/Nokia rather challenging!

Edit: Google/Yahoo map display with annotation. Presently JSON/XML.

Edit2: Also would like to understand performance comparisons for parameters stated above - JavaME vs. 'native' apps vs. iPhone for example
    Last edited by c1ue; 2010-04-17 at 17:25.

Super Contributor

Re: Seeking consultant for Nokia/JavaME app development investigation

Welcome to Forum Nokia!

Quote Originally Posted by c1ue View Post
    1) What would the cost/development time estimate be for a JaveME app based on an existing implemented specification and application server. Consider the app to be fairly rudimentary - existing iPhone and Blackberry versions are vanilla SDK based.
    With almost no detail about your app, that's an impossible question to answer with any precision. I could say, more than one man-week, less than three man-months.

2) What is the set of Nokia devices that could support my app functionality (specifically GPS capability + internet) - this to go along with my go/no go development decision
    All MIDP devices support internet connectivity, at least by HTTP. So, all those Nokia devices with GPS (probably most newer Series 60s, and the top end, newest Series 40s). Additionally, some devices will support external GPS by Bluetooth.

If you look at device specifications, you're looking for devices that support "JSR 179", though note that some of these might not have integral GPS.

Access to the network and GPS is subject to security restrictions. When you access these features, there will be a prompt to the user for permission.

2a) Plus: if additional support beyond Nokia family is known
    It should not be a major problem to support other MIDP devices, such as those from Sony Ericsson, where specification permits.

Since BlackBerry Java is based on J2ME, it should be possible to share a significant amount of code between BlackBerry and MIDP versions.

3) Future roadmap concerns: how does JavaME fit in both with other Java mobile options and with the Nokia future roadmap
    With the exception of Android, all forms of mobile Java are Java ME. There is a limit to how much Nokia will share about future plans, but their future intentions for Series 40 and Series 60 appear to be to maintain Java support. The Linux-based N900 does not currently support Java.

but highly fragmented from a specific hardware line sense which makes justification for JavaME/Nokia rather challenging!
    That may be so compared to iPhone, but compared to the majority of manufacturers, Nokia have one of the lowest levels of platform fragmentation.

Also would like to understand performance comparisons for parameters stated above - JavaME vs. 'native' apps vs. iPhone for example
    If your app runs acceptibly on BlackBerry, it will be fine on other Java ME devices.

Java apps will always be slower than native apps. However, unless your requirement is for audio or image processing, performance is unlikely to be a problem.

Your primary decision factor will be the range of devices you want to support.

Graham.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Seeking consultant for Nokia/JavaME app development investigation

If you have good funding and you want a Quality work on your product, get it touch with us.

We are outsourced product development company from US, with 3 development centers in various parts of India, working for some of the best product companies of the world like - Nokia, Samsung, Intuit, Google, Oracle, 3M, NueStar etc.

Visit our website: http://www.impetus.com/mlabs

mail in your NDA at mailto:mlabs@impetus.com

thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    http://www.impetus.com/mlabs