Discussion Board

Exclamation S60 Avoid access point selection

Hi all!

I've developed an application that connects via wifi to a private server (Datagram connection). Every times that i connect to the server a pop up is displayed on screen, asking me to select an access point. Is there a way to avoid this selection? I've read a lot of posts about that, but cannot find a solution. Somebody say that signing the application will allow the user to set default access point, somebody say that it's impossible to do it and finally someone else say that with IAPInfo is possible to set a default connection (I'm using N95 devices).

Where's the truth?
    Is there any library or trick that could help me on doing this?

Best Regards,
    Andrea

Super Contributor

Re: S60 Avoid access point selection

Quote Originally Posted by zambov View Post
    Hi all!

I've developed an application that connects via wifi to a private server (Datagram connection). Every times that i connect to the server a pop up is displayed on screen, asking me to select an access point. Is there a way to avoid this selection? I've read a lot of posts about that, but cannot find a solution. Somebody say that signing the application will allow the user to set default access point, somebody say that it's impossible to do it and finally someone else say that with IAPInfo is possible to set a default connection (I'm using N95 devices).

Where's the truth?
    Is there any library or trick that could help me on doing this?

Best Regards,
    Andrea
    Hey, welcome to the Forum Nokia Discussion Boards,

Definition:
    IAP Info API is a simple JavaTM API, where the applications (MIDlets) can access fundamental Internet Access point- and Destination Network- (i.e. access point group) related information. This information is retrieved from the Comms Database tables maintained by the native OS, where all the communication-related settings are stored. However, IAP Info provides just a subset of the parameters stored in Comms Database.

The API was introduced in S60 3rd Edition FP 2.

The information, which might support access point or destination network selection, is available with IAP:

IAP related information (ID, type, name)

Destination network (ID, name, IAPs contained)

List of preferred Access Points

Last used Access Point (for TCP socket connections)

Main use cases:

Building up network connections without prompting the user

The primary use case of the IAP Info API is to provide for those cases when it is crucial that network connection should be built up without prompting the user. Using the application's own settings the user can choose an access point or destination network, which may then be used later.

In order to use this feature, the application has to be prepared for the IAP event: it has to be able to offer the IAP choice for the user and be able to store the chosen IAP to later use.

If the application has the necessary permissions (it is signed with an appropriate certificate, for example), the application can connect to the network without any user acknowledgement.

This link will help you,
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/document/...45480ED2A.html
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Super Contributor

My experience, on the N95 in this case, is that signing the application will get rid of that question...
    Though take into account that :
    - it will be asked once (the first time the app is ever started) to set the AP
    - or, if you set up the AP directly through the applications manager then it won't be asked at all

Btw, if I remember corretckly, you can simply set the AP in the applications manager right away, so it will only be asked once (or maybe never, can't remember exactly)...

Nokia Developer Expert

Tiger79 said:

if I remember corretckly, you can simply set the AP in the applications manager right away, so it will only be asked once (or maybe never, can't remember exactly)...
    Yes you are right on this, confirmed by this article on Forum Nokia Wiki: API access rights on phones, S60 3rd FP1

Regards,
    r2j7
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]