Discussion Board

Unable To Call Location API in S40 6th Ed Device

Hello,

I have developed a simple midlet which reads the locational information (using javax.microedition.location.Location) and displays it on the screen. This works perfectly on an E72 (S60 3rd Ed Device). However, when I run the same application on a 6303C (S40 6th Ed Device), the midlet behaves abnormally.

The Command that calls the function to get the location in E72, routes to BlueTooth Connectivity in 6303C. I cannot get it to call the locational functions. I have checked the device details for 6303C (http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/6303_classic/), and it supports JSR-179 (locational API). But I still can't get the Midlet to behave.

I also tried running the Location API Example (http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._v1_0.zip.html). Even this behaves in the same way. Instead of normal/expected execution, A screen appears, directing the user to "New Search", or "Paired Devices".

I have no clue on what is going wrong here. Especially because, the same application works smooth, on E72. Can anyone please lend some thoughts on this?

Regards,
    Rohitesh.

Super Contributor

Re: Unable To Call Location API in S40 6th Ed Device

Well, this specific device does include the JSR-179 API but it has NO integrated GPS chip...
    So you will need an external GPS receiver, which can be easily connected through the JSR-179 (thats the screen you get which asks for paired devices or search new GPS receivers)...

Oh! Thank You @Tiger79. I had wrongly assumed, that the presence of JSR-179 meant the presence of an integrated GPS chip!

Regards,
    Rohitesh.

Super Contributor

hehe,
    well thats a wrong asssumption that is easily made
    As you have discovered the JSR-179 API is only the API, as in the software interface/library with specific functionality... In this case to address some very specific hardware (GPS)... But it is never a guarantee that a device having the JSR-179 also actually has an integrated GPS receiver... My tip would be to always check the Devices Information page I used before, just to be absolutely sure (look for GPS and A-GPS) and before you end up buying the wrong device
    Anyways, GPS isn't widespread in the cheaper market (S40), but can be found in many modern S60 devices...

Nokia Developer Champion

With S40 devices you can use bluetooth API's to connect with external bluetooth GpS reciever, and even without JSR 179 you can read the location data from external GPS.

thanks
    ~Amitabh

Thank you @Tiger79! Silly of me! However, the saving grace was, I didn't actually buy the phone. Was helping a friend in using the app.

Regards,
    Rohitesh.

Nokia Developer Champion

I didn't actually buy the phone. Was helping a friend in using the app.
    Ok, now suggest him to bye a Bluetooth enabled GPS reciever.

thanks,
    ~Amitabh

Super Contributor

hehe,
    or sell the S40 device, add the 40 euro's for the Bluetooth GPS receiver and buy a 2nd hand decent S60 like a 5800XM...
    Here in the netherlands you can buy them for a 100 euro's second hand, you actually can't get rid of those :P

Regular Contributor

Hi All

I too have been trying to get the GPS with GPRS enabled Airtel SIM on C3-01 (JSR 179 is there). But I am still unable to get the location values. But the same code works on N8.
    PLease tell me how I can get the location without external GPS receiver. Is there no other option? My concern is that people using S40 or c3 phones should buy GPS receiver.

Thanks
    rj12info