Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Sigining a Java Midlet

Hello,

I have a Java midlet with I need to obtain a certificate for in order to make a customer release. I am aware that I need to obtain a Code certificate in order to do this is that correct? I am thinking of purchasing a a Verisign certificate.

Dharmesh

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Sigining a Java Midlet

Yes, you need this certificate if your application is using any restricted API's that need 3rd party certifictaes to allow access or avoid permissions.

Let us know which such API's you have used?
    what are are the target devices for you?

thanks,
    ~Amitabh

Regular Contributor

Does the following list help you?

import javax.microedition.io.*;
    import java.io.IOException;
    import java.io.InputStream;
    import java.io.OutputStream;
    import javax.microedition.io.Connector;
    import javax.microedition.io.SocketConnection;
    import javax.microedition.midlet.*;
    import javax.microedition.lcdui.*;
    import javax.microedition.io.*;
    import java.io.*;

My application reads some of the system properties such as the signal strength, Cell id, etc and opens an internet connection. My application prompts the user when it opens needs to open an internet connection.

I assume this will disappear the application is fully signed?

My target is currently the S60 3rd Edition platform - but would not like to be restricted. In future I may need to port my code to the S40. Will my certificate allow this?

Dharmesh

Nokia Developer Champion

Yes on S60, this certificate will help you.

But for S40: for reading some of the system properties such as the signal strength, Cell id (may not be available on all S40 devices) you may need manufactuer - Nokia's certificate for the devices that support this property.

After Siging the app, the user is to be educated to set the application permission from the app manager on the device to allow always or ask only once.

thanks,
    ~Amitabh

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by im2amit View Post
    Yes on S60, this certificate will help you.

After Siging the app, the user is to be educated to set the application permission from the app manager on the device to allow always or ask only once.

~Amitabh

What exactly do you mean by this? Am I correct in say that the owner of the phone can still choose to be prompted when the midlet requires the internet??

Nokia Developer Champion

Yup you are correct...
    In an unsigned application the user is able to set the permissions per application through the Application Manager...
    Because the app is unsigned though the user can only choose between some options, like "ask first time", "never allowed" etc...
    When the app gets signed for several API's and functionalities a new Permission level gets available : "always allow"...
    When that one is selected through the Application Manager (NOT programmtaically, the user will have to set that up) no more pop-up's asking for permission will be shown any more...

So, shortly :
    no signing --> pop-up's asking for user permission and limited permission options through the application manager
    with signing --> possibly no pop-up's (if the user selected that through the Application Manager), more permission options through the application manager

Nokia Developer Champion

Am I correct in say that the owner of the phone can still choose to be prompted when the midlet requires the internet??
    YES the end user - the owner has all the rights to know, if the app is making any network call that may be costing him money.

Thanks,
    ~Amitabh

Regular Contributor

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Dharmesh

Nokia Developer Champion
    Dharmesh, I recommend to reconsider to go for signing. Make sure you really, really need it. If you just target on platform right now, consider to go through Java Verified instead because that certificate last longer than one from VeriSign. Anyway, let us start with there …