Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Program won't start when using Qt-Mobility

Hi,

I have a small program that uses QtMobility::SystemInfo. The program will not start on the device when using Qt-Mobility but runs fine on the S60 Emulator.

The application doesn't start after being installed on the S60 device. This only happens when it's using Qt-Mobility.

I'm working on a Nokia N97, I believe it's an Arm11.

I'm using Qt-Mobility, Qt for Symbian 4.6.2 and S60 5th Edition with Carbide 2.4

I built the Qt-Mobility library and the build configurations work fine in Carbide.

Thanks,
    Jim

Super Contributor

Re: Program won't start when using Qt-Mobility

Did you install Qt Mobility on your N97?

I downloaded the zipped files and installed the .sis file located in the folder called install_to_device. First I installed Qt and it's dependencies.

Jim

I used App TRk to load the program before it was linked to Qt-Mobility but now AppTrk can't load it.

Could this be a shared library problem?

Jim

Regular Contributor

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by jmclaurin11 View Post
    I built the Qt-Mobility library and the build configurations work fine in Carbide.
    I downloaded the zipped files and installed the .sis file located in the folder called install_to_device. First I installed Qt and it's dependencies.
    So.. are you saying you built the QtSystemInfo library yourself? There's no need to do that - in the same package you found the sis file, there's qt-mobility-1.0.0-beta1-libraries5.0.zip that you can extract to your SDK. Then, you only need to copy mobility.prf file to your <QtDIR>/mkspecs/features directory, and you're good to go.

I built the libs myself using the instructions from the download site. Could this be a problem on the phone?

The program works fine on the emulator, the phone uses the .sis install file. I didn't create that binary.

I'll try using the packaged binaries instead.

Jim

If I already built Qt-Mobility myself what should I do to replace the libs with the packaged binaries in the zip file?

Jim

Regular Contributor

Simply extract the binaries from the zip into your S60 SDK. Then, recompile your app so that it links against the prebuilt libraries.

Nokia Developer Champion

These instructions are in the qt-mobility-symbian-1.0.0-beta1 package:
    - Installing the mobility libraries to your Symbian SDK happens by extracting the
    'qt-mobility-1.0.0-beta1-libraries<S60SDK>.zip' file to your Symbian SDK.
    - First copy the zip file to your Symbian SDK next to \epoc32 folder, f.ex to C:\Symbian\9.4\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0_2
    - extract the file
    - Note that you need to repeat this step for all the Symbian SDKs you want to develop with Mobility APIs.

- Enabling Mobility APIs to your device (Symbian 3rd Edition FP1 or newer, in case unsure see http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/) :
    - Prerequisite : Qt 4.6.2 for Symbian is installed
    - install the 'qt-mobility-1.0.0-beta1.sis' file to device. You can do this, for example, via bluetooth or through Nokia PC Suite (recommended)

This fixed the problem with the program not loading but messaging didn't compile when I tried to use the API. The file qmessagedatacomparator.h in the qtm source I was using before is different from the version in the qtm zipped file. There was an enum that was missing called Option.

Can someone tell me what this is about and why the more recent code isn't compiling as is?

Jim

Extracting the zipped binaries worked for SystemInfo, but now the Messaging API isn't compiling. It looks like I have headers and libs that don't match.

How can I fix this?

Jim

When I put the my old .prf file back in features/symbian the program compiles but it still doesn't run. The .prf in the zipped file links with SystemInfo but not with Messaging. I get a lot of undefined references. The program does run on the smart-phone now but I need all of the mobility APIs working.

I thought everything was in the zipped file containing the binaries and headers. How do I get the right qt-mobility libs and headers where they belong ?

Jim

Nokia Developer Champion

There are several different sets of instructions for installing the Mobility stuff, none of them complete. Here's what I've worked out needs to be in the PRO file:
    Code:
    CONFIG += mobility
    MOBILITY += systeminfo bearer (whatever subcomponents you use)
    INCLUDEPATH += <Qt install path>/qt-mobility-src-1.0.0-beta1/include \
    	<epoc path>/epoc32/include/applications
    LIBS += -lQtBearer \
    	-lQtSystemInfo (etc)
    symbian:TARGET.CAPABILITY = NetworkServices (or whatever -- most functions are going to use some)
    For the includes to work, you must have done the install/config per the instructions in the Symbian bin distribution, so that the epoc include directories get updated appropriately, and, to use the <QClassName> includes, you must have done the configure sequence on the Mobility directory that is described elsewhere.

It appears that the libs in the zipped are missing something. When I link to the build I did myself the program compiles but when using the libs in the zipped file I always get QMessageStore::instance() is not defined.

I built qt-mobility-src-1.0.0-tp and the libs ending with _tp link correctly. What does _tp mean?
    What version is this _tp and why is it linking but not running on the device ?

The other libs in the zipped file aren't linking all of the mobility APIs but the ones that did link run on the phone.

Thanks,
    Jim

Nokia Developer Champion

You may be seeing a version mismatch. It's important that all the includes and libs you use be from the same version.