Discussion Board

Reliable way of getting unique phone ID.

Hi,

I understand that there are several issues with getting the IMEI code of a phone generically because either such support is unavailable or operator/manufacturer signing is required.

Is there another sort of ID which is accessible generically from J2ME? If not, is there a Nokia-specific approach which will always return the IMEI (or another unique ID) regardless of which domain of code signing? (I will be using code signing from Thawte).

This is for an activation type system so that I can "bind" my MIDlets to a single device (or preferably, but less likely, to the SIM card).

Any help or alternative suggestions for an activation type system would be greatly appreciated. Obviously if I can get an ID which is unique to each handset then this task is straightforward.

Best regards,
    Lea Hayes

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Reliable way of getting unique phone ID.

Hello Lea Hayes,

I understand that there are several issues with getting the IMEI code of a phone generically because either such support is unavailable or operator/manufacturer signing is required.
    Yes, this applies for Series 40 platform.

On Symbian platform, this is possible to be retrieved without signing requirements by using com.nokia.mid.imei
    system property.

More on Forum Nokia Java Developer's Library: Nokia-specific system properties

Regards,
    r2j7
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]

Thank you for your fast response, and the interesting link. I will have a read through that.

I am primarily targeting the Symbian platform so there shouldn't be any major problems, but it would be nice if I could stretch to supporting S40 as well.

I came across a web page which gave an example of a http request which was sent from J2ME. This request included a "ClientID" entry. Is this entry always present, and if so unique for each device?

Thanks again!
    Lea Hayes

Nokia Developer Champion

I came across a web page which gave an example of a http request which was sent from J2ME. This request included a "ClientID" entry. Is this entry always present, and if so unique for each device?
    This ClientID must be generated at the mobile client ends depending on its unique implementation, its not a standard header added by the device.

You can try to get Bluetooth address of the device and its one of the unique ID like mac address, IMEI no etc's which you can get if the device support JSR-82... which all devices suppport these days.

thanks,
    ~Amitabh

You can try to get Bluetooth address of the device and its one of the unique ID like mac address, IMEI no etc's which you can get if the device support JSR-82... which all devices suppport these days.
    I've had a go at using LocalDevice.getLocalDevice().getBluetoothAddress(), which does provide a unique ID, but it prompts the phone user to enable Bluetooth first. Is there a way to get this address without actually enabling the Bluetooth?

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

Nokia Developer Champion

I've had a go at using LocalDevice.getLocalDevice().getBluetoothAddress(), which does provide a unique ID, but it prompts the phone user to enable Bluetooth first. Is there a way to get this address without actually enabling the Bluetooth?
    If the bluetooth is already On, you get this automatically without any user prompt ?

On Most the devices, people do keep bluetooth radios active, and you can educate your enduser about the activation process of your app where you will need him to switch on his bluetooth for the generation of unique device id.

thanks,
    ~Amitabh