Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Importing huge number of contacts on symbian 9.4 KErrNotReady issue

Hi, all

I am trying to import around 6000 contacts on s60 device.

I am using CContactDatabase::ImportContactsL funciotn with CContactChangeNotifier on it to be informed when contact is succesfully imported and database is ready to import next one.

I have tested this on devices with symbian 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4 and emulator.

It is working perfectly except symbian 9.4.

For example ImportContactsL on N97 device after 4000 contacts imported starts to leave with KErrNotReady exception.
    I am trying to wait few or more seconds, which is enough for other symbian 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 and then import next contact but
    sooner or later (around 4800 imported contacts) ImportContactsL is leaving all the time with KErrNotReady.

Moreover during import system application Contacs popped out with NotEnoughMemory please close some applications.

It looks like that Contacdatabase cannot handle correctly co much contacts during import.

What should I do to improve its performance. (I am using CompressRequired() and CompactL() but it is not the solution).
    Peter

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Importing huge number of contacts on symbian 9.4 KErrNotReady issue

NotEnoughMemory could either indicate that you are starting to run out of device RAM memory, or max heap set for your processs. Y-Tasks::Trace for example could show you the RAM usage graph, also you could maybe just try increasing the max heap for your process in your mmp file.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    NotEnoughMemory could either indicate that you are starting to run out of device RAM memory, or max heap set for your processs. Y-Tasks::Trace for example could show you the RAM usage graph, also you could maybe just try increasing the max heap for your process in your mmp file.
    But as I written there are no problem with my application.
    I tested it on Emulator with HookLogger and no memory leaks. Emulator can handle 6000 contacts

It is working correctly.

When I am importing when ImportContactsL leaves with KerrNotReady I am waiting for few second and try again.
    It is working well until I reach over 4000 entries on 9.4.

Other symbian like 9.1 9.2 9.3 and emulator handle 6000 well

It looks like that system process which is responsible for handling database is crashed.

Is there any limit of contacts in one database file on s60??

Nokia Developer Moderator

you could check any craches also with Y-Tasks::Crash monitor, anyway, I would suggest you to consider utilizing the help that is given, and not plainly ignoring it, sometimes you might find supprises.