×

Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    30

    Unhappy Problems while installation of J2 Apps

    Dear Sir/Ma'am

    I am posting this with very heavy heart. There are lot's of issues that I am facing during the installation of my Application.

    My J2ME Application is signed by Verisign omitting the jarsign step, and is installed on S60 and S40 Nokia mobiles.

    It uses pushRegisty (both dynamic(checked once) and static) for SMS, HttpConnection, FileConnection, PIM, RMS, XML handling sending or
    receiving of SMS. The mode of installation may be any :OTA, bluetooth, datacable. I have compiled the application using NetBeans 6.71 and wtk 2.5.

    Problems I face are:

    1. After so many installations in 5700 Nokia Ex. Music, there times come that on every second day of installation the application stops opening.
    Then sometimes it deletes the existing record store to install over the previous installation.

    2. In s40 series (any mobile: 3200, 5200, 7200) when the application is installed, it installs successfully first time, next time I have to upgrade
    the app version, then it will install. Problem is that whenever there is an error or say the app is running and the battery is removed, the
    Application Manager stops seeing that the application had registered with the same port number. It says there is a conflict, some different
    application uses the same port, while this is not a case. The other applications that were registered seem to be unregistered also.


    3. Sometimes installation of the application using the OTA fails when the unauthorized exception comes, while the certificate is installed already. I
    have known that if you don't clear the cache then the problem occurs.

    4. I display the version of the application in an alert using the JAD entry. Sometimes the application is installed and displays some previous version.

    Please help, the noose is around my neck.

    I will be highly obliged.

    Regards
    Abhinav Saxena
    Last edited by abhsax1978@hotmail.com; 2010-05-05 at 08:58.

  2. #2
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Capital of INDIA
    Posts
    4,328

    Re: Problems while installation of J2 Apps

    Quote Originally Posted by abhsax1978@hotmail.com View Post
    Problems I face are:

    1. After so many installations in 5700 Nokia Ex. Music, there times come that on every second day of installation the application stops opening.

    Then sometimes it deletes the existing record store to install over the previous installation.
    When application start opening, was any alert/exception/message drawn/thrown by the device?

    When you are reinstalling the application the device must ask that "Saved existing data" kind of alert to the user, and if you pressed no..then the already saved data will be lost for sure.Are you doing this?


    Quote Originally Posted by abhsax1978@hotmail.com View Post
    2. In s40 series (any mobile: 3200, 5200, 7200) when the application is installed, it installs successfully first time, next time I have to upgrade the app version, then it will install.

    Problem is that whenever there is an error or say the app is running and the battery is removed, the
    Application Manager stops seeing that the application had registered with the same port number. It says there is a conflict, some different application uses the same port, while this is not a case. The other applications that were registered seem to be unregistered also.
    Yeah that's correct and must be asked if and only if you are trying to install the same application which is already there on the device.That's not an issue.

    First bold line,I guess you are not managing the Port registration/de-registration in a proper manner. You read the Push Registry documentation on the web and then you will come to know that how to move exactly.


    Second bold lines, how are you sure that the port was free?

    Quote Originally Posted by abhsax1978@hotmail.com View Post
    I display the version of the application in an alert using the JAD entry. Sometimes the application is installed and displays some previous version.
    What do you mean?
    Thanks with Regards,

    R a j - The K e r n e l


    Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    30

    Unhappy Re: Problems while installation of J2 Apps

    Sir,

    I have installed this application using the same port several times. Now the many runs of this application and the receipts of SMS (notification messages) were successful, and then I did the above said battery test. Only after that the conflict error comes. Sometimes invalid application error also comes when I removed the same app and installed the app with the same version using the new PC suite, by first removing the earlier.

    Therefore I can say that the port is not taken by some other application.

    Regards,

    Abhinav Saxena.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    30

    Re: Problems while installation of J2 Apps

    Quote Originally Posted by abhsax1978@hotmail.com View Post
    Sir,

    I have installed this application using the same port several times. Now the many runs of this application and the receipts of SMS (notification messages) were successful, and then I did the above said battery test. Only after that the conflict error comes. Sometimes invalid application error also comes when I removed the same app and installed the app with the same version using the new PC suite, by first removing the earlier.

    Therefore I can say that the port is not taken by some other application.

    Regards,

    Abhinav Saxena.
    I think I have to restart each issue separately. But do continue on with the s40 issue first. That is the top priority.

    Regards
    Abhinav Saxena

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    30

    Re: Problems while installation of J2 Apps

    Quote Originally Posted by abhsax1978@hotmail.com View Post
    I display the version of the application in an alert using the JAD entry. Sometimes the application is installed and displays some previous version.
    I am using application.getProperties() to get the version from JAD which I am displaying in the alert. My clients reported that during the installation of the application the version was say 4.0 but when the launched the about alert, they got 3.0 there. This looks like the other matter I have already mentioned here: instead of overriding the application the fresh installation occurs and the db is removed (though not always). I never got the confirmation since ages like "do you want to keep your existing data?".. This I have seen myself.

    Regards
    Abhinav

  6. #6
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Noida, India
    Posts
    3,073

    Re: Problems while installation of J2 Apps

    Update the firmware of your test device, on which you are facing such issues.

    thanks,
    ~Amitabh

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    30

    Re: Problems while installation of J2 Apps

    Quote Originally Posted by im2amit View Post
    Update the firmware of your test device, on which you are facing such issues.

    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    Please help me find the solution for the s40 PushRegistry battery restart problem also.

    Please remind me if the firmware update is the only solution you have.

    Regards

  8. #8
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Noida, India
    Posts
    3,073

    Re: Problems while installation of J2 Apps

    You can try soft/hard format for your device also.

    thanks,
    ~Amitabh

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    30

    Re: Problems while installation of J2 Apps

    Quote Originally Posted by im2amit View Post
    You can try soft/hard format for your device also.

    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    Sir,
    Our client is going to be really unhappy about this, but thanks for the suggestions.

    Now facing another issue in 5700. The application has stopped opening after several runs. The log shows that the available heap space (Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory()) is as low as 18 Kb in this device last run. When the app did not run then the log was also not made.

    I don't have the idea what is causing the problems. To reduce the application size I had obfuscated, compressed, ommitted the debug info, and converted Images used in the application from 8bpp to 4bpp (bytes per pixel).
    Regards

  10. #10
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Capital of INDIA
    Posts
    4,328

    Re: Problems while installation of J2 Apps

    Quote Originally Posted by abhsax1978@hotmail.com View Post
    Sir,
    Our client is going to be really unhappy about this, but thanks for the suggestions.

    Now facing another issue in 5700. The application has stopped opening after several runs. The log shows that the available heap space (Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory()) is as low as 18 Kb in this device last run. When the app did not run then the log was also not made.

    I don't have the idea what is causing the problems. To reduce the application size I had obfuscated, compressed, ommitted the debug info, and converted Images used in the application from 8bpp to 4bpp (bytes per pixel).
    Regards
    I will suggest you that please you get rid of the issues one by one.One can not help like this.You must make the priority against the every issue and then move one by one.Then you can solve and fix the issues much more quickly.
    Thanks with Regards,

    R a j - The K e r n e l


    Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

  11. #11
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Noida, India
    Posts
    3,073

    Re: Problems while installation of J2 Apps

    Now facing another issue in 5700. The application has stopped opening after several runs. The log shows that the available heap space (Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory()) is as low as 18 Kb in this device last run. When the app did not run then the log was also not made.

    I don't have the idea what is causing the problems. To reduce the application size I had obfuscated, compressed, ommitted the debug info, and converted Images used in the application from 8bpp to 4bpp (bytes per pixel).
    What happens after you restart the device, does you app works fine again?
    Try runing a small midlet which just check the available heap and display on screen to check the device status everytime you run the applications.

    If the avaiable heap memory reduces, after evry run of your app; check if you are deallocating all static allocations, killing all threads and closing all connections before you exit your midlet.

    thanks,
    ~Amitabh

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    30

    Re: Problems while installation of J2 Apps

    I made two applications for dyn/stat Push Registry with different ports and MIDlet name and tested in s40 series as said. They also get their registry information lost on the run afterward reporting "conflict".

    Same thing after the restart of the device.

    As for the heap loss bug I will post later, as it will be a problem and create communication gap if the resolution is not done step by step, one by one.

    Regards

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    30

    Re: Problems while installation of J2 Apps

    Quote Originally Posted by abhsax1978@hotmail.com View Post
    I made two applications for dyn/stat Push Registry with different ports and MIDlet name and tested in s40 series as said. They also get their registry information lost on the run afterward reporting "conflict".

    Same thing after the restart of the device.

    As for the heap loss bug I will post later, as it will be a problem and create communication gap if the resolution is not done step by step, one by one.

    Regards
    OK, since I am not getting the solution for this problem, I consider that the solution was already given. Reformat the firmware of the device. But when i reinstall the application, the problem goes away (s40 series) after changing the version. It is supposed to report conflict here also.

    Hence the heap problem: After running the application for more than two times, the application failed to load the third time. The logs report say that the startApp() function wasn't called. Hence the factor causing it is not known. I have checked the available heap this time, which I know, is unlimited in s60 series, and found the variable allocation from 300 Kb to 16 MB.
    Re installation removes the problem here also.

    Regards.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    30

    Re: Problems while installation of J2 Apps

    Quote Originally Posted by abhsax1978@hotmail.com View Post
    Sir,
    Our client is going to be really unhappy about this, but thanks for the suggestions.
    He or she facing such problems may remove the software, backup again and again (synchronize with storage) retry reinstalling application after formatting, or upgrading the software. But these problems are recurring. We don't have the solution?
    Regards

  15. #15
    Nokia Developer Expert
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,595

    Re: Problems while installation of J2 Apps

    Hello abhsax1978@hotmail.com,

    in case there is no solution available from the Discussion Boards, you could check if the following link provides any options for technical troubleshooting:

    Home > I Want To > Develop Applications > Technical Support > Technical Support

    Regards,
    r2j7
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]

Similar Threads

  1. Problems in Nokia Software Updater installation
    By argelo in forum Feedback - Nokia Developer Services & Infrastructure
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2008-12-21, 16:06
  2. Problems in Nokia Software Updater installation
    By argelo in forum General Development Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2008-12-21, 11:58
  3. PC Suite Connectivity API installation problems
    By user_bea in forum PC Suite API and PC Connectivity SDK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2006-01-19, 14:48
  4. Problems in NDS JME beta 0.3 installation
    By mturu70 in forum Mobile Java Tools & SDKs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2002-05-25, 10:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •