Discussion Board

Question some ques. regarding "express signed"

Hi,
    I have some questions regarding symbian signed process. I want to do" Express signing"

Ques 1- What is Nokia TPO Programme?

Ques 2- I am referring "Nokia Test Criteria for Symbian C++ Applications ver 2.3" doc. In that doc , Is test cases 3.1 & 3.2 are applicable to me?? as we did not require manufacturer-approved capabilities (AllFiles, DRM, TCB), only following capabilities are used in my app NetworkServices, ReadUserData UserEnvironment, WriteUserData.

Please help me for Which test cases should I follow for "express signing"

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: some ques. regarding "express signed"

The simple rule of thumb is that if you don't need what something means, you are likely not to need it.
    TPO stands for special projects which will result in 3rd party applications being pre-installed on device before it ships to the end-users. As to be expected, extra QA testing is required for such application and part of that, additional Symbian Signed test criteria.

For regular applications, targeting the 3rd party software market (independent retailers or Ovi Store) you need to worry about the standard Symbian Signed certification and the corresponding test criteria, as presented at http://www.symbiansigned.com
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mrunaldeo9 View Post
    Hi,
    I have some questions regarding symbian signed process. I want to do" Express signing"

Ques 1- What is Nokia TPO Programme?

Ques 2- I am referring "Nokia Test Criteria for Symbian C++ Applications ver 2.3" doc. In that doc , Is test cases 3.1 & 3.2 are applicable to me?? as we did not require manufacturer-approved capabilities (AllFiles, DRM, TCB), only following capabilities are used in my app NetworkServices, ReadUserData UserEnvironment, WriteUserData.

Please help me for Which test cases should I follow for "express signing"

Thanks.
    Once again, some radical advice from me. Just test your app so that it fulfills its job and makes your existing in-house QA team happy, and then release it. In 99% of the cases, it also satisfies the Symbian Signed Criteria.

If they ever do decide to audit your express signed app, just buy a new devcert and on it goes.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

'Radical' can still be nice and elegant. However 'bad' can not. Suggesting to ignore the signing criteria is just a bad advice, and in addition it provides no answer to Mrunaldeo9's questions. Actually he has already got satisfying answers days ago.
    Otherwise it is the Publisher ID what you buy, not the developer certificate.

Super Contributor

Hi wizard,
    yes, you probably are right. But I am trying to show an "antistance" to Symbian Signed here...just to prevent people from crawling on the floor in front of these boys all the time.

Symbian was an open ecosystem. and if we don't keep showing them the limits, it will not be.

Democracy: the government fears the people.
    Tyrany: the people fear the government.

Tam
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    My other blogs:

I agree that dialog is needed and welcomed. At the same time, the idea of a certification process/authority should be respected. We discuss the rules and work together in getting them improved, but as long as the rules are in place, we obey them all as much as possible.

There is a dedicated forum at Symbian.org reserved specifically for Symbian Signed improvement/clarifications discussions. Currently for example the topic of signing Smart Installer packages is open for discussion and developers interested in this topic should discuss it now, rather than complain about it later.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

Hi Lucian,
    ok - will post it to my blog in a jiffy so that more people hear about it!

Tam
    My other blogs: