Discussion Board

how 2 make .sis file???

hi there,
    i develpoed a java midlet and tried it on the 7210 emulator & it's working fine.
    I have the .jad & .jar file ready now.
    Now i want 2 install it on the real mobile, could anybody tell me how?? All i know is that i need 2 have some .sis file, but i have no idea how 2 create it?Alsi what is .pkg & do i need this??
    somebody tell me plzzzzz!!!!!!!!
    regards
    noha

Actually for deploing the Java to the phone you do not need to make .sis package

hi maxim,
    ah yes u'r right, i managed 2 deploy the midlet on a couple of mobile brands using the .jad & .jar files.
    But they were installed on a folder called applications, but i know that sis files install them as a new item in the mobile's menu which is what i wanna do....Any idea how???
    thx
    noha

Regular Contributor
    Hi,
    .sis file is necessary only for installing native Symbian application or personal Java application on Symbian OS, so one is inpossible install .sis file on 7210.
    For Series 60 (7650&3650), there is not way install J2Me application at any directory except "Apps." (probably one is possible install at "Games" directory as well), so you don't need create .sis file. Basicly J2ME application running under kVM which has being built in Symbian, write docs about J2ME on Nokia 9210, you getting this question much more clearly.

As well for creating .sis file you need Symbian UID, but there is not point request UID from Symbian for J2ME application.

Regards Dima
    Last edited by dima_boul; 2003-04-23 at 11:21.

The document Guidelines_for_Game_Developers_v2_0.pdf available from this website states that MIDlets can be installed in the games folder by including the following line into the MIDlets *.jad file.

Nokia-MIDlet-Category: Game

Look at section 2.8 of the document. I've not been able to get this to work using Bluetooth deployment to my 3650, maybe it only works OTA from a WAP site ?

chris,
    I also read that document and could not get my J2ME games to install to the Games directory using that technique.

Nokia Developer Administrator

Download Link

Here is a link to the document referenced above.

Guidelines_for_Game_Developers_v2_0.pdf

CareTaker,

Did this work for you on the 3650 though? It only works for me on the Series 40 phones.

Hi how do i transfer the .jar & .jad files from my PC to my Nokia 7650, so that i can run the java application from my phone ?

Thanx

Super Contributor
    To chris, caretaker and sketcher: Installing into the Games folder doesn't work on Series 60 as far as I know. It worked fine on Series 30 and 40 phones that I tried, and it only works when downloading OTA.

To ivoice: Do you have an infrared connection on your PC? If so you only have to send the jar to your phone, and then click on it in your Inbox and it will install automatically...

Hi, my pc does not have a infra red , but i do have a bluetooth connection to my nokia 7650

Super Contributor
    I have never tried it with bluetooth, but if you can send the jar from your pc to the phone using bluetooth then that's probably all you need to do (then just click on the jar in your Inbox, like with infrared).

thanx shmoove that worked,

do u happen to know if i can send the application that i have downloaded to my phone to another phone through MMS ?

if that is not possible wat other ways can i use to transfer my .jar & .sis files to a MMS Phone ??

Re: how 2 make .sis file???

Do you have program to make sis file and how to used it?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: how 2 make .sis file???

Why do you want to make a sis file if you don't know how to use it?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite