Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Publishing on Ovi Store

Hi All,
    i've made for my company an application using symbian c++ and qt. I know that at now nokia doesn't release an alpha version of smart installer, but whe it will be ready i'd like to be ready to put my application on store.
    I've read a lot of post but at now i don't understand anithing about:
    • Publisher ID
    • Epress Signed/Certified Signed
    • Ovi Store

Some of you could explain me from the start to the end?
    Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: Publishing on Ovi Store

Quote Originally Posted by earendil View Post
    Hi All,
    i've made for my company an application using symbian c++ and qt. I know that at now nokia doesn't release an alpha version of smart installer, but whe it will be ready i'd like to be ready to put my application on store.
    I've read a lot of post but at now i don't understand anithing about:
    • Publisher ID
    • Epress Signed/Certified Signed
    • Ovi Store

Some of you could explain me from the start to the end?
    Thanks.
    Hi,
    I will only say the first bit because without this you cannot work.
    Your company must be register with Trust Centre to apply for a Publisher ID. Thats 200 dollars and a 4 week wait as everything is transacted by FAX and secure snail mail.
    Then you need you publisher ID from Symbian (200 dollars)

Now you can sign your program (Qt not supported yet until to dependency program comes out of beta)

There are still further obstacles to get past but the Trust Centre ID and Publisher ID will keep you going for a while!!!!

Thanks
    Jim

Super Contributor

This could be starting point for the process.
    http://http://developer.symbian.org/...bian_Signed%29

Regular Contributor

From what I have understand this is what you need to do:

1. Get a Symbian Publisher ID, certificate (cost $200) here: http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...bian_Signed%29
    2. Build your application using the certificate
    3. Make sure your application meets the test criteria (http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...4_Wiki_version)
    4. Create a Symbian Signed login at http://www.symbiansigned.com
    5. Send your application to Symbian Signed to get it signed, the first time it is recommended that you let the test house test your application (Certified Signed). (cost $200). Later you may use Express Signed.
    6. When your application have been tested you will get a .sis file to send to Ovi Store
    7. You need to be registered to Ovi Store to publish https://publish.ovi.com/info/ (cost €50)

This is just my idea of how to publish, can anyone confirn this is the right way?

Nokia Developer Expert

For more insight on the nokia application development process you can go here: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...etting_Started.

Is it really so, that you need to pay at least these costs in order to make ONE application;
    - Ovi account: 50 euro (one time fee?)
    - Symbian Publisher ID: ~ 160 euro (yearly fee)
    - Express signed: 10 euro (one time fee per made application)

This would be around 220 euro?

I do not understand why Nokia has made it so complicated to publish a content for their phones.
    Last edited by smellsoft; 2010-05-23 at 10:45. Reason: Express signed fee fixed
    www.smellsoft.com

Nokia Developer Moderator

First, it is not Nokia that makes it complicated or charges you signing fees. Nokia only charges you the 50€ (4 movie tickets) for getting access to the store. That's it.

The rest of the charges you list above are common to the whole Symbian ecosystem and all other manufacturers have the same requirement for you, with only signed/certified applications being allowed to install on the phone. Self-signed may be allowed in some cases, and you are free to use that mechanism if the features you implement allow it and if you chose to distribute the application on your own.

The cost per signing is minimum 10€ (but in some cases could be 150€). The Publisher ID is valid for one year, during which you an release hundred of applications or content items. The impact of this yearly fee on your app goes towards 0 as you release more and more apps.

Cost of 1st app: 170€
    Cost of 2nd app: + 10€ = 90€ / app
    Cost of 3rd app: + 10€ = 63.3€ / app
    Cost of 4th app: + 10€ = 50€ / app ...

Compare these costs to the salaries you pay to the employees developing the app, or with the value of your free time spent developing it. Does it still sound expensive to you?

Now, with the app signed, you are ready for release on Ovi Store (one time fee of 50€), on Samsung, Sony Ericsson or any other 3rd party application store you can find.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    First, it is not Nokia that makes it complicated or charges you signing fees. Nokia only charges you the 50€ (4 movie tickets) for getting access to the store. That's it.
    Well.. I disagree. It's Nokia at the end, who has selected the used way.

Nokia actively developed Symbian OS and took Symbian in use in it's mobiles.
    It was Nokia who acquired Symbian in 2008 and made the platform open source.
    Nokia could have made a different choices, how the applications should be signed and published.

The Nokia selected way is not friendly for small startups.
    www.smellsoft.com

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by smellsoft View Post
    Well.. I disagree. It's [It was Nokia who acquired Symbian in 2008 and made the platform open source.

This is incorrect Nokia owned Symbian after buy out in 1999 I believe as a result of collapse of Psion, because Symbian had an OS for mobiles called 2nd Edition which did not need signing. The mobile telecom suppliers, in particular VODaFone, saw the potential for viruses taking down the network and insisted that Nokia and Symbian control applications to stop broken apps stopping the mobile phones working by testing and signing.

In 2008 Nokia pushed Symbian out on its own into open source and onto Samsung and others. Please keep up with the history lesson

Android and others used open source on HTX? LG(tm) etc.
    Nokia has to abide by the requirements of telecom suppliers

Much cheaper then in 2005 and you have to make 30 versions to cope with all countries and versions of these phone and telecom supplier set how much revenue you get basically £1 per sale.

*SOME* Telecom suppliers/operators DO NOT DEAL with startups end of story.

Edit from later post. Yes I agree some telecom suppliers like the then Orange U.k. However Vodafone seems hostile to smaller players in the market.

The history of a companies products does tend to get "distorted" by time and I am glad you have corrected my "distortions"
    Thanks
    Jim
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2010-05-25 at 21:59.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jimgilmour1 View Post
    This is incorrect Nokia owned Symbian after buy out in 1999 I believe as a result of collapse of Psion, because Symbian had an OS for mobiles called 2nd Edition which did not need signing. The mobile telecom suppliers, in particular VODaFone, saw the potential for viruses taking down the network and insisted that Nokia and Symbian control applications to stop broken apps stopping the mobile phones working by testing and signing.

In 2008 Nokia pushed Symbian out on its own into open source and onto Samsung and others. Please keep up with the history lesson

Android and others used open source on HTX? LG(tm) etc.
    Nokia has to abide by the requirements of telecom suppliers

Much cheaper then in 2005 and you have to make 30 versions to cope with all countries and versions of these phone and telecom supplier set how much revenue you get basically £1 per sale.

Telecom suppliers/operators DO NOT DEAL with startups end of story.
    Jim
    Your history lesson has some errors and incorrect assumptions. I'll try to correct some of them:

Symbian Ltd was a 1998 joint-venture where, besides Psion, multiple device manufacturers (Nokia, Siemens, Motorola, Ericsson, Panasonic, Samsung) each owned a chunk of it. The Symbian OS was based on the EPOC32 OS, which was renamed to Symbian v6.0 to start with. Over the years, companies like Motorola and Psion bailed out from Symbian Ltd, and Nokia's share of the ownership grew, and eventually the remaining shareholders sold their shares to Nokia to establish the open source Symbian Foundation.

Symbian never had "an OS for mobiles called 2nd Edition". Symbian OS versions were numbered as v6.0, v6.1, v7.0, v7.0s, v8.0a, v8.0b, v8.1a, v8.2b, v9.0, v9.1, v9.2, v9.4, v9.5/Symbian^1, Symbian^2, Symbian^3, Symbian^4.

The "2nd Edition OS" you're referring to, is presumably Nokia's Series 60 2.0, also known as S60 2nd Edition, based on Symbian v7.0s and with later updates on Symbian v8.*a.

The signing requirement was introduced through Symbian 9.0 in 2005. Nokia's first Symbian 9.* device was using Symbian 9.1 and was also based on S60 3rd Edition (S60 v3.0) in 2006.

Samsung, Siemens, Panasonic and other manufacturers have been using Symbian since at least Symbian v7.0s with S60 1st Edition (S60 v1.2), which means from around 2002, and not in 2008 as you seem to be saying.

And, when I used to work for a telcom supplier/operator, I did deal with startups and startup company technologies/products. I also know of other operators that deal with startups, so you can't categorically say that they don't.