Discussion Board

Question Which platform is best for my case? Java, qt or Python?

Hello world!

i m new to this nokia forum and also in mobile application.

i have some experience in coding django and normal python, and i m also relatively experienced in java using eclipse and netbeans too.

i want to develop an application that runs on mobile phones(at least Symbian based) and communicated with the company SAP portal server through web services. there will be database involved, as the application needs to store some data locally. also it would be nice if the codes can be easily ported to other mobile platforms eg. windows phone and android (iphone is not required, as it's too playful to be used in business)

i know that java is born with potability, but it seems to lack some native integration(eg. contact, local database).
    for QT, i have no experience at all, it will be like starting something from ground up.
    for python, there is python for s60 and py qt, which one will become mainstream which one will fade out, i m still a bit confuse here.

so for my case here, and in terms of the effort of development and portability, which platform should i choose?

thank you very much.

Super Contributor

Re: Which platform is best for my case? Java, qt or Python?

Welcome to the form Nokia discussion boards..

We can help you better and suggested the exact technology if you could share the details and functionality of the application in much more details. Kindly let us know more about that what API you wanna use?
    what are the technical functionalities you might want to implement?
    What are the targeted device you wanna cover?
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Nokia Developer Champion

I will recommand Java - J2me, it can run on WM devices too and can be ported to Android devices using J2AB and other tools available. Also J2me app works on blackberry devices too.

i know that java is born with potability, but it seems to lack some native integration(eg. contact, local database).
    Most devices now Support JSR-75 and have RMS & filesystem as client side data storeage option.
    As you are talking about a SAP client most of the data will be stored on your server side data base only.
    J2me has easy ways of connecting to Webservices using JSR-172.

The max percentage of devices available in the market support J2me

thanks,
    ~Amitabh

thank you all for the very helpful advice, let me explain what i have in mind.

i want to have a relatively fat( compare to web based) client running on mobile device to:

1. fill up some forms (eg. New Customer Form, Survey Form) and send back to server by web service.
    2. do quotes and place sales orders, for this, the client needs to search for Customers and Product(description, price, part number etc.)
    3. sync up with the Company Calendar and Business Schedule, this require to have access to the native contact and calendar db.

for the UI widgets, i probably need some very basic ones: Labels, Input fields, Buttons, Table, Tabs, nothing fancy

for functionality it has to support internet connection, web service. now as i m in china, there are places where you don't get good data connection or even connection. that's why i need to store data locally, for example Products. I want the users to have a way to download the data from SAP beckend and store it on the phone, so later they can query the database offline, they can store the sales order on the device, when they get connection, they can do a batch upload/commit.

for device coverage i hope S60(with and w/o touch screen,i dont know the platform names), Android, Windows Mobile, would be really nice if it can be easily ported to PCs as well.

i guess i m describing my situation in very details now.

thank you very much in advance for any kind of input.

Nokia Developer Champion

for the UI widgets, i probably need some very basic ones: Labels, Input fields, Buttons, Table, Tabs, nothing fancy
    You can use LWUIT for developing this in J2me.

This can be done with RMS in J2me

for device coverage i hope S60(with and w/o touch screen,i dont know the platform names), Android, Windows Mobile, would be really nice if it can be easily ported to PCs as well.
    Again the Ans is J2me, it works on all above, and with a j2me emulator on PC too.

thanks,
    ~Amitabh