Discussion Board

Steps in Right Direction

Im happy to finally see things moving in the right direction, this new SDK bridges the gap for developers and provides the seamless integration that is needed to bring apps to the masses cutting down on the development cycles

segfault

I get a segmentation fault when installing linux 32 bit online version on eeepc 701 kernel 2.6.21.4. The following error message was displayed when it crashed:

Skipping Update " "com.nokia.ndk" " from " Nokia Qt SDK" "(" "resource://metadata/" ") because an update with the same name was found from a higher priority location.

Symbian support on Linux

Hello,

Will the Linux version ever support developing apps for Symbian? Is there a technical problem with this, or just that nobody bothered to actually do it?

Also, I'd like to know how much of the SDK is open source, and if it is possible to have a central source archive of all the open sourced sdk components so people can contribute patches, now that both of the supported platforms (Maemo and Symbian) are actually open source themselves. Personally, I'd like to be able to contribute to the the effort of getting Symbian supported on Linux, and/or getting the SDK supported on newer Ubuntu versions since 7.04 was released 3 years ago and is no longer supported by Canonical, and most of the users already use newer versions.

Thanks!
    Last edited by majeru; 2010-04-28 at 07:35.

SDK Updater and Maintainer No Proxy

It seems that the SDK Updater tool and the Nokia SDK Maintainer tools do not use the global proxy settings on the computer (Windows) nor there is an obvious way of setting proxy settings for these tools.
    This issue should be addressed quickly as there are a lot of developer working behind firewalls and proxy servers.
    Last edited by moldovan_catalin; 2010-04-28 at 11:24.

Notes

Majeru: If I remember correctly the main issue with linux compiler support for symbian devices is mostly to do with the gcc tool chain and binary compatibility presumably with the linker. (CodeSourcery I think are the gcc symbian tool chain people).

I'm just installing on a windows xp machine and I'll try and check it out onto my ubuntu 10.04 laptop too.

UPDATE: Just finished install on ubuntu 10.04 (installed and ran fine)
    Last edited by kbateman; 2010-04-28 at 10:56. Reason: ubuntu 10.04 note update

kbateman: the gcc toolchain is open source and originated in the Unix world, so in theory it shouldn't be too hard to port GCCE back on Linux, or am I missing something?

Also, besides the proxy issue reported by catalin, I found an issue when deploying to my N97 mini. The project seems to compile fine, but it can't generate a self-signed SIS file and the deploy obviously fails. I mention the app is "deployed" and runs successfully in the Qt simulator.
    Last edited by majeru; 2010-04-28 at 11:00. Reason: typo

Re:

You are as far as I can see correct about the GCCE comments, and if you look at the known issues etc docs for this release I think it did mention that it will be done. I think I spotted the comments about the binary compatibility (meaning the firmware revisions mostly I think) was on another post recently (check the qt blog I think, related to Linux and MAC porting being in progress).

I don't work for Nokia so I'm not the guy for all the answers however, have you tried generating a self signed sis for anything else ? what sort of failure did you get ? (I haven't tried generating a sis for deploy as its still installing on my windows machine). All the best.

Re: Symbian support on Linux

@majeru: About open source, part can be read here:

http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2010...A6-what-is-it/

"* Opening our repositories for eg. the simulator as well as merging the Nokia Qt SDK specific Qt Creator changes. We would like to avoid fragmentation of our tools hence we will use one proper codeline."

As for Symbian support for Linux Nokia Qt SDK, it's being worked on as far as I know. Qt itself already has some support for this.

What gives you the impression the SDK would not be supported on newer Ubuntu versions since 7.04? It should work fine on virtually any Linux distribution, and certainly works fine for me on Ubuntu Lucid 10.04.
    Last edited by thorbjorn; 2010-04-29 at 10:51.

Re: segfault

@wwwalker: This is not the place to report bugs. If you're having trouble with the installer you should report this here:

http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/secur...equestId=11232
    Last edited by thorbjorn; 2010-04-29 at 10:50.

Re: SDK Updater and Maintainer No Proxy

@moldovan_catalin: I've opened a task for you on the Qt bug tracker: http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTSDK-8

Please follow that one if you're interested in seeing it resolved or providing additional feedback. Thanks!
    Last edited by thorbjorn; 2010-04-29 at 10:49.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Steps in Right Direction

I'm not the one for all answers either

But to add some information about Symbian and Linux, you could have a look at
    http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/pages/QtCreatorSymbianLinux
    and see what playing around with that brings forth.

@majeru: Hard to say without seeing the error message you get (and it might be something as useful as "General OS error" - we are working on that), you might not have (the right?) Qt packages installed on your device.

Wink Re: Steps in Right Direction

I've just installed the SDK so far I am loving it, thanks Nokia
    After many years of Java ME back to CPP I am exited!
    Sergio
    Sergio Mabres
    Prominente S.A.
    Argentina

Re: Steps in Right Direction

Quote Originally Posted by smabres View Post
    I've just installed the SDK so far I am loving it, thanks Nokia
    I'd like to second that. This is clearly a beta but already a manifest improvement over everything else from which we've had to choose. Thanks Nokia.