Discussion Board

OTA upload of Java to 3410 issues

I'm trying to install java apps onto a Nokia 3410. There's no option to do it via serial or IR - Just via WAP.

I've set up a webserver, and I have JAD files and JAR files sitting there ready to go. As far as I can tell my JAD is correctly pointed at my JAR. The server is set up correctly to return the right MIME
    types for JAD and JAR.

So when I point the phone's WAP browser at the JAD, I get a message giving me quick info about the application and asking if I want to install. I say yes and it goes to a "Downloading App" screen - So far so good.

The webserver receives my request, and both the JAD and JAR give HTTP 200 responses - They're sent correctly by the webserver. No problems there. So if the JAD is sent fine, and the JAR is as well.

Unfortunately, once I get here I'm shafted - The download always times out after 5-10 minutes (haven't checked, but I think it times out after the same amount of time.)

I've tried the same thing with the same results for a couple of different apps now. Anyone got any ideas?

Regular Contributor

RE: OTA upload of Java to 3410 issues

How big is your jar file? The 3410 is limited to 30k, or 50k, depending upon which version of the firmware you have. The biggest jar size I've had is 51200 bytes.

Try pointing your device at the jar file directly. You don't have to use the jad file at all.

Hope this helps,
    Steve

Regular Contributor

You shouldn't have to use the Nokia API if you don't want to. All the MIDP Image stuff should work, although only certain formats of PNG might work.

I'm sure I read in another post (on the J2ME forum) that only 256 colour pngs work, which is somewhat awkward when you really only need 1bpp images! Also, there was a posting about having problems downloading files to a 6310i, even ones as small as 8k. Someone answered mentioning that not all operators WAP gateways are enabled for large downloads, and even 8k is large compared to simple WML pages.

I'm not sure how to refer to the answers in the other forum, but they shouldn't be hard to find by browsing.

Cheers,
    Steve

You should upgrade your firmware. And you'll need a development version, not the retail version of the firmware. Thus you'll need probably contact the Nokia developer staff. Unfortunately I don't know any contact information while I'm trying to do the very same here

I've withnessed two 3410 running the retail software (from may) and the developer software (from june) with exactly same wap settings. The dev version works like a charm, but the retail version gets stuck into the "Downloading application" screen and eventually causing a timeout (5 mins or so).

As a side note: how can one ever release a phone that is intedended for Java gaming while you can't even download the games?! Shees....

- Sampsa

If i have development version of softere i can upload apps via cable?

Regular Contributor

hi,

In this conversation, LongSteve said: "Try pointing your device at the jar file directly. You don't have to use the jad file at all.".

But this is not the good way to procede, even if it works in most cases. You MUST point the jad file, because some informations may be different in manifest file (which is into the JAR file) and in the jad file. And in that case, for the same attributes, infos in the JAD will override those in the manifest.
    Take a look to that web page: http://java.sun.com/j2me/docs/alt-html/WTK104_UG/Ap_Attributes.html. You will see the different attributes, what is in the JAD and in the manifest.
    And also, if you add some user-defined attributes, then those will be only placed in the JAD file. For example, in the 3410, you can install games into the folder "Games" instead of "Application". For that, you need to add the following line into the JAD file:
    Nokia-MIDlet-Category: Game
    So if you don't point the JAD file, the game will not be installed into the games folder as you wanted.

Frdric

Looks like a problem with the WAP gateway to me. If that doesn't support Segementation and Reassembly (SAR) it won't let large files of more than a few kb through. Unless your operator supports MMS or games download, it's unlikely that that their gateway supports SAR. Try another network and see if that works (or you could splash out on your own gateway, but the ones available for free don't seem to support SAR either)