Discussion Board

Distributing Client/Server Binaries

Hi There,

We have a client server application made up of two binaries - an auto-start server executable and a client GUI application that allows the user to configure the server.

I would like to know how these two binaries could be made available on the Ovi store as a single package for download (after purchase).

It would be really nice to be able to embed the server SIS into the client SIS, but for security reasons, an embedded server cannot also be made to auto-start as far as I know (this is deemed to help prevent viruses - but actually it's just another hurdle in the endless Symbian/Nokia fun run).

To pass Symbian Signing you have to allow an auto-start server to be disabled via a GUI, but to do that you need some dodgy work-arounds cos there's no API for this. Mostly you just register for auto-start anyway and then hack your server to kill itself after it starts up. But the point is you still need to register in the Startup List API - which is ignored for an embedded server.

To date, our applications have been built for specific clients, so we just ignore these stupid issues and distribute two signed binaries, but now we want to sell a series of client-server applications on Ovi.

So - is there a recommended approach for bundling multiple binaries in this manner for Ovi sales via download?

Based on a series of unresolved issues to date on Ovi (regarding IMEI licensing models for example), I'm not really confident at the moment.

Is there any support for this model on Ovi?

TIA

Sam

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Distributing Client/Server Binaries

just have all executables added to one sis file.

Thanks Yucca - that actually has never occurred to me (how embarrassing

No-one *ever* suggested this during the signing process either - you'd think they would have as it was more work for them each time.

Anyway - as an Ovi distribution option, it's been concerning me for ages, so thanks for the quick answer.

Sam

Nokia Developer Moderator

yep, it is completely normal to pack all related (and sometimes bit unrelated) stuff in one sis, for example my Y-Tasks, which has funny modular design, actually has 11 parts on it, one UI application, 2 servers and 8 dll modules..