Discussion Board

midlet as EJB webservice client....help

i have a midlet that is a client for an ejb web service. i have the following problems, my goal is to make an sms program that sends and receives sms through http.

1. when the midlet accesses the web service, i would like to find a way to later asynchronously push a message to the midlet. how can i do this?
    2. can my stateless web service access a stateful session bean to keep states of clients?

if there are better approaches to my problem, please help.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: midlet as EJB webservice client....help

i would like to find a way to later asynchronously push a message to the midlet. how can i do this?
    From the server side, you will need to have SMS aggregator tie-up like Openmarket or value-first which you can use to send a port directed SMS to the mobile device so that it can be consumed by the midlet using pushregistry.

thanks,
    ~Amitabh

thanks alot for the help.

i think this wil cost me some money, i suppose just opening a socket from the device and have the server send the message to that port should work right?

but how do i differenciate users? can having users use unique ports work? have like a socket pool in the server.

Nokia Developer Champion

i suppose just opening a socket from the device and have the server send the message to that port should work right?
    All these will work, if the application is always on and always connected to the server, you cannot initiate the connection from server to client like this..... other way the client polls the server after every few sec's to fetch if ithas anything new or not.

Or Implement a TCP CIR(connection invocation request) channel, keep it always on, keep alive true.... passing a ping (keep-alive) package every 10min (keep alive time-out) and pass a special CIR packet when you want the client to make a get upadte to the server when you have anything new for it.

Or switch to SIP based implementations.

What you want TCP Push, this is reality only on IDEN networks with IDEN device, not on regular GSM networks with Nokia devices.

Similary microsoft,iphone (APNS) and blackberry (PIN Message) they have their own ways of doing the same w/o SMS.

but how do i differenciate users? can having users use unique ports work? have like a socket pool in the server
    Maintain a Hashtable of CIR server sockets at the server end, keeping the USERName/Userid.device ID as key and server socket object as value.

thanks,
    ~Amitabh