Discussion Board

Are all Qt-libraries in the *.sis-file?

I downloaded the Nokia Qt SDK Beta (http://www.forum.nokia.com/Tools_Doc.../Nokia_Qt_SDK/)
    and the "Getting Started" PDF on
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...ia_Qt_SDK.html

The point 4.2.1 is "Install Qt 4.6.2 on the device"
    and point 4.2.2 is "Install and configure the TRK debugging application on the device"

TRK is only for the developer for debugging. Is it right?

But have I to install Qt to every device before I can install my application?
    This would not be so good for distribution.

Or are all necessary files in the animatedtiles.sis (the "Getting Started" example)
    and if I want to publish my application in OVI Store I have only this file to place there?

If there is Qt stuff (libraries...) in the sis-file or Qt have to installed before
    on the device:

Is there the duty in the Qt-LGPL licsense to make a hint in my
    application that I'm using Qt?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Are all Qt-libraries in the *.sis-file?

Quote Originally Posted by KLTIDE View Post
    I downloaded the Nokia Qt SDK Beta (http://www.forum.nokia.com/Tools_Doc.../Nokia_Qt_SDK/)
    and the "Getting Started" PDF on
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...ia_Qt_SDK.html

The point 4.2.1 is "Install Qt 4.6.2 on the device"
    and point 4.2.2 is "Install and configure the TRK debugging application on the device"

TRK is only for the developer for debugging. Is it right?
    Yes, TRK is a development tool and you will in install it on your development devices only.

But have I to install Qt to every device before I can install my application?
    This would not be so good for distribution.
    Yes, you have to install the needed libraries on each device on which your application will be installed to. Otherwise it will not work. However, you will not need to install all libraries if you don't use them. E.g. the webkit is available in a separate package so that it can be installed by applications which use this component while the other can skip it.

N.B. Upcoming devices, such as Nokia N8, will have Qt pre-installed so you only have to worry about deploying Qt to them if you are using a newer release of the framework.

Or are all necessary files in the animatedtiles.sis (the "Getting Started" example)
    and if I want to publish my application in OVI Store I have only this file to place there?
    An application (like the above mentioned example) contains only and exactly what you put inside its install package. By default just an exe, an icon and a couple of resource files.

You can in theory modify the project so that the generated install kit (the SISX file) will contain the pre-built Qt file as well (embedded sis file) so that the user will handle only one file but at install time the Qt libraries are also unpacked on that device.

The problem with that is that each and every package will be very large and the user has to download it from the store even if he/she already has Qt.

An alternative solution is the Nokia Smart Installer for Symbian, currently in beta.

If there is Qt stuff (libraries...) in the sis-file or Qt have to installed before
    on the device:

Is there the duty in the Qt-LGPL licsense to make a hint in my
    application that I'm using Qt?
    For practical reasons you will want to declare a dependency to the Qt package but that is a technical requirement. Whether the license model brings a requirement to acknowledge the usage of Qt in some release notes/about document, that is another issue altogether and I'm afraid I don't have an answer for this.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Re: Are all Qt-libraries in the *.sis-file?

Thank you for your extensive answer.

N.B. Upcoming devices, such as Nokia N8, will have Qt pre-installed so you only have to worry about deploying Qt to them if you are using a newer release of the framework.
    That would be great.