Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5800 XpressMusic showing different dimensions

Hello,

I've been developing a Flash Lite 3.0 application for S60 devices, for various screen sizes; I have been using several profiles in Device Central for testing, but usually the 5800 (Flash Lite 3.0 version). When the application detects the Stage width and height, it determines how to display itself.

Until now the 5800 profile has reliably shown its portrait screen size to be 360x640. The Nokia profiles on Device Central recently showed up orange, indicating they needed to be updated, so I did so.

After updating the Nokia profiles, the 5800 now shows its size as 360x452 (Stage.height is 452 is trace statements). This cuts off the application screen and positions it in the center. When testing the app as a .sisx on an actual 5800 device, the application is cut off and positioned at top.

Any ideas as to why the 5800 now believes its height is 452?

Many thanks for your thoughts,

Dave

Regular Contributor

Re: 5800 XpressMusic showing different dimensions

I think you're better of asking this from Adobe at the Device Central discussion forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/mo...device_central

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao,

just noticed that too, will ping the device central team!
    In the mean time you can use the Nokia 5530 XpressMusic in DC.
    Alessandro

Generally the Resolution is 360 X 640 on the S60 5th edition devices.

Any ideas as to why the 5800 now believes its height is 452?
    But I think with the virtual keypad on the 5800, the dimension becomes 360 X 452. May be somewhere the numbers got mixed up or may be this is a wild guess
    However, the presence of the v.keypad should not reflect on your stage.height property..
    Twitter - manikantan_k
    Just in --

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao,

that's correct but if you set to full screen and use fscommand2("DisableKeypadCompatibilityMode");
    you should get full screen.

Until this new update everything was working fine.
    I pinged the Device Central team, let's see thei comment.

Alessandro

Thanks, all.

I do have the following commands in the timeline of the movie, before I load any external classes:

fscommand2("DisableKeypadCompatibilityMode");
    fscommand2("FullScreen", "true");
    Stage.scaleMode = "noScale";

... but the keypad is a good point; maybe there's something new that's interfering or artificially triggering it.

The sizing issue also occurs on the device itself, not only on Device Central. I installed it on a 5800 with the same results, so I thought perhaps it was some aspect of a recent firmware update. I will also post on the Device Central forum, however.

Dave

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao Dave,

I think the issue is only in Device Central. I pinged the DC team and they are looking at the issue.
    I have no problems with the real devices, N97 Mini, 5800XM.
    Which firmware do you have?

Alessandro

Device shows 21.0.025. It does mention that updates are needed, but its connection is having issues at the moment, so some folders don't load.

So far the 360x452 sizing occurs on:

- Device Central: 5800 (I see there is now an X6 profile, and it occurs on this also)
    - Remote Services: 5800
    - Physical Device: 5800 XpressMusic

Other device profiles on Device Central (5530, N97) are not affected. 5530 reads correctly as 360x640.

I'm now going through archived versions of my application to see if older versions are doing this. So far they are, which leads me to wonder if existing Actionscript functionality is now being interpreted differently (as opposed to something new I added that messes up the 5800).

Thanks again! I very much appreciate your time.

Dave

Hi,

I'm from the Device Central Team

Just had a twitter discussion with Alessandro regarding this.

So basically the profiles, before they were updated, had addressable size values that were not what you would see if fscommand2 FullScreen is implemented, therefore the correction was according to the content size when FullScreen fscommand2 is implemented, i.e. 360x452 for Nokia 5800 and X6. Since ADC doesn't emulate DisableKeypadCompatibilityMode yet, the values that you presently see are supposed to be correct. So its basically a design limitation for the present ADC and Flash Lite version due to missing player API.

We'll discuss "DisableKeypadCompatibilityMode" fscommand emulation for FL 4.0 for CS5. Apart from that, in CS5 you will have the possibility to create your own custom profiles in such cases.

Hope this explains a bit.

Thanks,
    Nandi

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao Nandi,

thanks for the reply.
    Are you saying that in DC CS4 we cannot simulate fullscreen because the DisableKeypadCompatibilityMode is not supported?

If so, it would be good to have fullscreen to do what it was doing before 360x640 because it's going to be confusing not having fullscreen simulation.

Alessandro

Quote Originally Posted by biskero View Post
    Ciao Nandi,

thanks for the reply.
    Are you saying that in DC CS4 we cannot simulate fullscreen because the DisableKeypadCompatibilityMode is not supported?

If so, it would be good to have fullscreen to do what it was doing before 360x640 because it's going to be confusing not having fullscreen simulation.

Alessandro
    Yes that's right Alesendro,

We will see if we profile the fullscreen workaround.

Thanks,
    Nandi

Thank you, Nandi and Alessandro.

If I understand correctly, when I export from Flash CS4, Flash Lite and Device Central do not yet understand DisableKeypadCompatibilityMode... and because the 5800 has a newer profile on ADC and newer firmware on the device, it recognizes that setting and triggers a height that assumes the presence of the keypad, while other profiles (5530, etc.) do not?

(Before I read your replies, I tried an experiment, inserting an object that enlarges the stage, in case it was measuring the content instead of the potential "stage" area. I also tried commenting out FullScreen.)

For me, the Flash Lite version is more the issue than Device Central, since this occurs on the device itself.

You mentioned looking into a workaround. There is no way, then, at this time to force the stage to display more than 452 pixels of height and display the screen at 360x640? Will perhaps an update for Flash CS4/Device Central CS4 be eventually needed?

Thanks,

Dave

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao Dave,

are you saying that you see the same behavior in the real device?
    I do not recall anyone seeing this issues on real devices.
    I have a 5800 and N97 Mini and tested on many different firmwares and never had this issue.

So please make sure your code is correct.
    Also you can try to test your application using Remove Device Access which have many touch devices.

Alessandro

Yes; the sizing issue was occurring on the 5800 device we have; I'm sorry if this wasn't clear in the previous posts.

The 5800 profile on ADC had functioned successfully. Then when we were ready to move into testing on a device, we acquired a 5800, and discovered the resizing issue. At this time ADC coincidentally prompted for an update to its 5800 profile, and the issue now appears in Device Central as well.

We therefore assumed that because it had been functioning before, there was something new/different with the 5800, and that perhaps Flash Lite was being processed differently. Other profiles we had developed for (N97, 5530, E90) continue to display properly.

Edit: I have just now re-exported the Flash, and I believe FullScreen was commented out. After packaging it and installing it on the device, the full screen now displays. I will continue testing with FullScreen disabled, although Device Central still shows the height as 452.

We will also continue testing on Remote Services with other devices, although the 5800 had shown the same issue when first testing.

Thanks,

Dave
    Last edited by Polarbeast; 2010-05-06 at 21:45. Reason: Update with notes regarding FullScreen.

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao Dave,

this is really strange!!

For Device Central we know the issue and maybe we will get a solution from DC team as I suggested to have the default to be full screen 360x640.

About the real device, I think you should contact Nokia at this point giving all the details about the firmware and so on.
    I will ping the UG mailing list to see if someone has encounter the issue.
    Alessandro
    Last edited by biskero; 2010-05-07 at 11:20.